How to decline the schools you didn't choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impala25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've a couple of refusals I have to do. I really liked the schools and there was nothing wrong with them, so I don't want to just send a cold "I didn't choose you" one-liner. I was wondering how you guys are going about this.

Also, Pittsburgh has a sheet where you can fill out at the bottom, I _____, wish to decline... I plan to attend _________.

I'm wondering... should I tell them where I'm going?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it really matter?

I would tell them which school you picked. I don't see how it could come back to hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
go ahead and tell them what school you are going to.

When I turned down schools I called 2 and emailed one. The person I spoke to at Nova was very curt (don't even think it was someone who worked specifically for the dental school). They just asked my name and pretty much said bye and hung up. The SF person was real nice and asked about my other schools that I got into and which one I chose and USC was an email.

This is the correct way to decline to a school.

Dear Adcom,
Thank you so much for the offer of acceptance, but I must turn it down because of a much better applicant that is suited for your school named Blando. He is awesome. Thank you. I love you. Bye.

Dear Adcom,
Thank you so much for the offer of acceptance, but I must turn it down because of a much better applicant that is suited for your school named Blando. He is awesome. Thank you. I love you. Bye.

HAHA yep that is so the way to go

Dear Adcom,

LMAO. :laugh:

I wrote a letter declining my acceptance and Nova wrote a nice, short letter back saying we received your letter to decline your acceptance a few days ago, so we are officially withdrawing your application. Thank you so much for your interest in our University. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I thought it was a really nice touch. Definitely a place I will be applying for residency if I choose to go that route.

I don't think we can expect every school to do that, but I think writing a short letter is a nice, formal way to decline the school's offer of acceptance.

I wrote a letter declining my acceptance and Nova wrote a nice, short letter back saying we received your letter to decline your acceptance a few days ago, so we are officially withdrawing your application. Thank you so much for your interest in our University. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I thought it was a really nice touch. Definitely a place I will be applying for residency if I choose to go that route.

I don't think we can expect every school to do that, but I think writing a short letter is a nice, formal way to decline the school's offer of acceptance.

I thought decline process was more complicated. What happens if someone try to fxxk you up writing fake decline letter? How do they know?

Dear Adcom,

Hey this actually works. I know someone that got off of the waitlist for a school because an accepted applicant recommended that he take her place.