Medical How to disclose disciplinary record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously inquired here as to whether I should report a disciplinary action that occurred in high school. I was advised to disclose it in my secondary application for medical school, but I wanted to follow up this advice by asking how I should disclose this information, while presenting it in the best light possible. In case it is helpful, detailed information about the incident is below. I also included the specific question that concerns my need to disclose the infraction.

Background: I was suspended for several months in 10th grade (I was 14) for possession of a controlled substance. I had a fractured foot at the time and I come from a family of physical laborers where "complaining about pain is frowned upon". I felt uncomfortable going to my family about the injury and instead self medicated from a family member's medication. When that ran out I had a friend who said she could get me her own father's medication as a substitute, and while exchanging this at school we were caught. I cooperated with the school, and due to my high grades and lack of a prior disciplinary record, I was not charged for a crime.

Additionally, I was not arrested, and there is no record of this incident on background checks. However, the school did suspend me and my secondary application is specifically asking me about any disciplinary action I received in secondary school or college, so I know that I must disclose this information.

The questions involved:

1) Have you ever been expelled, suspended, disciplined, or placed on probation by any secondary school or college you have attended because of (a) academic dishonesty, (b) financial impropriety, or (c) anything that harmed or had the potential to harm others? (Yes or no)

2) Please address any other violations not already explained in this document or in your AACOMAS application

My answer for 1 was no. My answer for 2 is what I need advice on how to approach. How should I disclose my past in a favorable way? (Note that I had no other disciplinary actions in high school, and absolutely none in undergrad + post bacc, which I think should help my case.)

Thank you in advance for all of the help. You all are doing a wonderful service here.
Answering No to #1 is not true. You WERE suspended. This would get your app trashed.

Answer yes to #1, and then explain thusly:
I was suspended for several months in 10th grade (I was 14) for possession of a controlled substance. I cooperated with the school, and due to my high grades and lack of a prior disciplinary record, I was not charged for a crime. Additionally, I was not arrested,
Add something about living an exemplary life since then and regretting your mistake.

You're be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a colleague in a similar situation come across something similar to this. It's really nothing you need to be worried about. I have never heard nor probably ever will hear of someone getting rejected after briefly explaining an incident in high school that didn't show up on a background check or an arrest record.

I have heard of some people simply not mentioning said incidents and had issues with a contingency acceptance due to not being upfront about past details. Be upfront and brief. It's a formality to get people with more serious accusations (ie recent felony charges whether current or pending).

Status
Not open for further replies.