How to discuss Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome with Admin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chexmate19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my first month of med school and I was recently diagnosed with DSPS. My school has required attendance; I haven't missed a class yet, but I immediately fall asleep in lecture after downing 4 shots of espresso. I only wake up once lecture is over at lunch. I'm losing 4-5 hours of study time a day b/c I have to be in lecture, and I'm drowning. I don't have a science background so I'm already starting behind my peers and tbh, I can't believe I actually passed my first exam. I'd love to see how I would do with a regular sleep schedule.

My sleep med physician wrote me a letter explaining the condition and has started me on some meds and light box therapy, but said that it could take a few months to get things on track. She recommended asking for accommodations to watch the lecture videos from home temporarily, which are recorded already for the class regardless. She stated that I could request it under ADA regulations, but I don't want to be adversarial.

@Goro or any other Adcoms have an idea as to whether / how to approach the subject with Admin, or any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Requesting accommodations under ADA regulations for a legitimate disability documented by a note from your physician is in no way adversarial.

Start off with the assumption that the people making this decision are reasonable and kind, and that the default answer is 'of course'. Bring your documentation with you, but only bring it out when it seems like they may not grant your request without it. Also, state upfront that you're only asking for an accommodation for a limited (be specific) length of time so your treatment program can begin to work effectively. Do state that you are absolutely NOT trying to get out of attendance, and that you would be willing to provide whatever type of 'proof of listening' they may want so they can satisfy themselves that you're not just trying to get out of lectures.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Student Services (or whatever they call it at your school ) STAT, and get your accommodations.

I'm in my first month of med school and I was recently diagnosed with DSPS. My school has required attendance; I haven't missed a class yet, but I immediately fall asleep in lecture after downing 4 shots of espresso. I only wake up once lecture is over at lunch. I'm losing 4-5 hours of study time a day b/c I have to be in lecture, and I'm drowning. I don't have a science background so I'm already starting behind my peers and tbh, I can't believe I actually passed my first exam. I'd love to see how I would do with a regular sleep schedule.

My sleep med physician wrote me a letter explaining the condition and has started me on some meds and light box therapy, but said that it could take a few months to get things on track. She recommended asking for accommodations to watch the lecture videos from home temporarily, which are recorded already for the class regardless. She stated that I could request it under ADA regulations, but I don't want to be adversarial.

@Goro or any other Adcoms have an idea as to whether / how to approach the subject with Admin, or any advice?

Thank you both for your advice! I will contact the university tomorrow.