How to do away rotations in India/Pakistan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to pose this question from the other side of the forum. I'm US born, with parents from Pakistan. I speak Pushto in addtion to English, but not really fluent in Urdu/Hindi (I can understand most of it but not speak much and my verb conjugation is horrible!). Anyway, I will FINALLY be an MS4 soon after 8yr of MD/PhD at Pitt, and I was wondering about how to do an away elective rotation, probably one year from now (before graduating)?

I don't even know where to start looking! Any good websites or links on this. My interest is in Pediatrics, GI or Heme/Onc. I would really like to find a Children's Hospital in India or Pakistan, possibly associated with a medical school. Any ideas/suggestions/help? Will not being fluent in Hindi/Urdu be a problem? If it is, then my only options will be in Peshawar/NWFP Pakistan :) I'm hoping to expand my options. Please send helpful suggestions or places to contact, b/c I'm totally clueless on how to begin to find legitamate teaching institutions that my med school will approve of.

Thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone?????

I'm not positive if this applies everywhere, but my sis went over to pakistan for med school (FJ in Lahore) and only knew very basic urdu at first. She was forced to become semi-fluent by the time her rotations started as almost no patients she encountered would speak english. It may be best that you find a hospital in Peshawar?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply!

So just to follow-up, I got some positive responses regarding Islamabad. I'm currently looking at Children's Hospital of PIMS (Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences) or my 2nd choice is Shifa. Would appreciate any input on these places?

After my 4wk elective month in Islamabad, I'll venture into other places for fun, so I will add on one of my vacation months (we get 2). :)

Anyone know of any options in Lahore? Unfortunately not particularly fluent, but can understand Urdu ok.

I doubt you will find anything that your med school will approve in Peshawar. I've been to Childern's briefly, it should serve you nicely as long as you don't have high expectations, or require air conditioners all the time ;) Look in Kirachi too as that will be the second place your likely to find something that meets your requirements, along w/more english speaking people at the upper class hospitals.

:)
Hi everyone,

I'm going to pose this question from the other side of the forum. I'm US born, with parents from Pakistan. I speak Pushto in addtion to English, but not really fluent in Urdu/Hindi (I can understand most of it but not speak much and my verb conjugation is horrible!). Anyway, I will FINALLY be an MS4 soon after 8yr of MD/PhD at Pitt, and I was wondering about how to do an away elective rotation, probably one year from now (before graduating)?

I don't even know where to start looking! Any good websites or links on this. My interest is in Pediatrics, GI or Heme/Onc. I would really like to find a Children's Hospital in India or Pakistan, possibly associated with a medical school. Any ideas/suggestions/help? Will not being fluent in Hindi/Urdu be a problem? If it is, then my only options will be in Peshawar/NWFP Pakistan :) I'm hoping to expand my options. Please send helpful suggestions or places to contact, b/c I'm totally clueless on how to begin to find legitamate teaching institutions that my med school will approve of.

Thanx :)
well pathan try finding it at u r own place first!aga khan is a good institute in karachi!try n go for the best bcoz tht i what awaits you!

do not worry b patient n do not compromise as in india n pakistan is not 4 those who compromise!:)