K Niner

7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2009
Status
Dentist
Anyone know of some ways I could do research as a recent college grad. I majored in Biology and live near a major state university. Any thoughts/ideas are helpful. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Cancer centers, Alzehiemer's institutes, etc. These are typically near major universities. They hire people with B.S. degrees for research work at times. Just apply. Or volunteer at the university.

Jan 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I would suggest checking if there are forums for Biology majors. In our university those forums have lots of job postings. They are usually for undergraduates, but if they know you want to learn they could hire you at the same pay as undergraduates.
If there are any research projects you are interested in (by reading some of the research papers published by researchers in your university), you can always contact the PI. In the beginning, they may just allow you to volunteer, and slowly move you to a technician position (which is what usually recent college grads usually start as - I think).
Good luck!

K Niner

7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2009
Status
Dentist
Maybe I should clarify: I work full-time and would like to keep my job.

I'm interested in doing a little extra research as some undergrads do with professors or whatever- Not in working as a research assistant.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Maybe I should clarify: I work full-time and would like to keep my job.

I'm interested in doing a little extra research as some undergrads do with professors or whatever- Not in working as a research assistant.
You'd most likely have to volunteer and have some type of commitment so it's worthwhile and beneficial for them too. Tell the PI yours goals and what not.

RunDMD2b

7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
Status
Dental Student
When I was an undergrad, I would go on some PI's website and find out what their research was. Then I'd write an email to those that interested me, the PI's were usually impressed that I had read about some of their work and they were usually willing to let me work for them in the summer for a stipend. For recent grads, most people interested in research work as technicians/assistants.