How to: do SMP and apply without a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr2trd3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Does anyone know of any schools (besides the SMP host school) that are supportive of same year (no gap year) applicants? Please throw out some names. Please.

2) How are we to apply using AMCAS? Should I go ahead and list the SMP and the courses that I will be taking? Will AMCAS still send out my primary application with no SMP transcript?

I'm completely lost in this process. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

It's kind of a crap shoot in terms of what schools are particularly receptive to same-year SMP applicants, but from what I've heard the following have been good: Georgetown, Drexel, EVMS, VCU, St. Louis, RFU (of course), Tulane. I'm sure there are others but I think those would be a good place to start.

As far as listing coursework on your AMCAS, it's pretty straight-forward. Add the college as you have for other institutions then add your coursework, including units. Leave the grade section blank and check the box that says "Current/future coursework" and when the app asks you whether a transcript is required, select "No".

After that, your app is ready to be verified and sent out to all the schools. They'll see that you're enrolled in an SMP and some will reject you outright while others will wait for your fall grades. It is imperative that you send them an official transcript as soon as it is available. If possible, you should have a faculty member write a letter on your behalf, explaining your performance with regard to the class average and go on and on in glowing terms about how awesome you are. Send that letter at the same time as the official transcript is dispatched.

Then you wait... and wait... and wait. You can write personal letters as well and keep them posted on your particular interest in school X. If you get an interview due to your performance in the SMP, it'll probably be rather 'late', as the committee will have to wait until December/January for your grades before they can assess you. Subsequently, your interview will probably take place in February, March or even April.

Good luck!

Hello TyrKinase,
I am doing the EVMS SMP this year. I also submitted an AMCAS this year. Do I have to include that I am doing an SMP? The SMP is a backup plan for next year incase my applications falls short.

Hung Truong

It's kind of a crap shoot in terms of what schools are particularly receptive to same-year SMP applicants, but from what I've heard the following have been good: Georgetown, Drexel, EVMS, VCU, St. Louis, RFU (of course), Tulane. I'm sure there are others but I think those would be a good place to start.

As far as listing coursework on your AMCAS, it's pretty straight-forward. Add the college as you have for other institutions then add your coursework, including units. Leave the grade section blank and check the box that says "Current/future coursework" and when the app asks you whether a transcript is required, select "No".

After that, your app is ready to be verified and sent out to all the schools. They'll see that you're enrolled in an SMP and some will reject you outright while others will wait for your fall grades. It is imperative that you send them an official transcript as soon as it is available. If possible, you should have a faculty member write a letter on your behalf, explaining your performance with regard to the class average and go on and on in glowing terms about how awesome you are. Send that letter at the same time as the official transcript is dispatched.

Then you wait... and wait... and wait. You can write personal letters as well and keep them posted on your particular interest in school X. If you get an interview due to your performance in the SMP, it'll probably be rather 'late', as the committee will have to wait until December/January for your grades before they can assess you. Subsequently, your interview will probably take place in February, March or even April.

Good luck!

Awesome response, Mark. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million.