How to do well in an away GI rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am joining the PD of a GI fellowship for a month of research elective and he said we would also be seeing some patients together. What do you suggest I should do in terms of improving my GI knowledge base? Any recommended resources out there for someone like me? I have been reviewing the GI sections of medicine books but not sure if that is enough. Any additional tips to do well in this case would be welcome. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Be the best resident you can possibly be.
Go at least 1 hour early, chart review patients for the day.
Maintain a very good relationship with program coordinator(she can make or break your application during IVs).
Good rapport with all fellows. Ask fellows if you can read up on some topic and present in rounds the next day.
You will be expected to know all MKSAP GI material at the very minimum. Read it once or twice. Read the references in the answers as well
MAke the research elective productive. Work weekends, late evenings. Forget socializing with old school buddies and college friends for this one month. Your research productivity should exceed the expectations
Attend all education meetings for fellows.

Reactions: 3 users
Be the best resident you can possibly be.
Go at least 1 hour early, chart review patients for the day.
Maintain a very good relationship with program coordinator(she can make or break your application during IVs).
Good rapport with all fellows. Ask fellows if you can read up on some topic and present in rounds the next day.
You will be expected to know all MKSAP GI material at the very minimum. Read it once or twice. Read the references in the answers as well
MAke the research elective productive. Work weekends, late evenings. Forget socializing with old school buddies and college friends for this one month. Your research productivity should exceed the expectations
Attend all education meetings for fellows.

Just make it clear that you want to see as many patients as possible. That means you will need to be efficient writing your notes. You can’t spend 2 hours on a consult. No more than 1 hour per consult

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During residency, our attending said, "always do a rectal exam!!" thats the secret :p

Reactions: 1 users
Make friends with the fellows and residents and help lift everyone- do not show off. We get a visitors/ externs from the US and around the world, most are exceptionally smart and competent. Some have a gunner mentality and try to show off being smarter than everyone else (fellows, residents, med students, even staff!) which just makes for a toxic environment. Lift your team up. Be curious, you can be taught all the textbook stuff, but if you are tough to work with no one will want to deal with that

Reactions: 1 user