How To DO Well on Bio Section of DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wsavalas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can any of you guys tell me how to score well (20+) on the Biology section of the DAT. Here's my deal...I've been out of school for 3 years and got a 16 on the last DAT test (the bio section). I've heard the Kaplan Bio section is not enough. I don't have the time to read the entire Campbell's book, so what do you guys recommend to supplment the Bio section of the kaplan review book?

Thanks guys and best of luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was just going to post about the same question like you..

Kaplan seems broad, and easy to understand. I've taken numerous amounts of Upper Division Bio classes so the stuff on Kaplan is easy to understand to me. I am also using Shaums Outline to just go over some stuff that I might of missed, but I feel that I am not getting everything I want out of the Biology. Anyways.. What other things would be useful to study besides Kaplan and Shaums???

Also.. How well do you guys think the Gen Chem and OChem in the Kaplan Book is representive of the real test??

Buy DAT Achiever and do the problems in their test. I think it is much more difficult than the real DAT but the questions are structured so you have to know all kinds of things about one subject. A lot of the questions are set up like this:

Which are psuedocoelomates?

I. arthropods
II. cnidarians
III. annelids
IV. nematoda
V. platyhelminthes

A. I only
B.II only
C. I, III, and V
D. II, III and IV
E. I, II, III, IV

This isn't a real question just an example of how many of achievers questions are set up. I found I was missing a lot of questions because I knew two of the answers were correct for sure but not the others. This allowed me to look up each possible answer and really get about 5 questions worth of information from each question. I think it was great. Hope that gives you some ideas about what you can use.

20/20/19
AA/TS/PA

I got a 20 on the Bio section and I feel this was because I used Achiever, Topsore, Kaplan, And DR. ROMANO BIO REVIEW!!! I would recommend buying this really! He has enclosed about 120 questions which are similar to DAT questions. He touches on many important topics and makes the reviewing process easier. I got the highest score in the nat. sciences in BIO and I feel that it was because of that!So for best advice- Use this book, its well worth the money!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks for the information. I am definately buying DAT ACHIEVER tommorrow and I already own TOPSCORE. I am not sure about Dr. Romanos book just because it seems like people are marketing it here on SDN rather than recommending it. I really don't want to waste my time going over something and it was no help at all. Not only would this be a waste of my time, but also take my time from studying other material. This is why I love SDN, because I get a good idea how to study for this exam again.

definitly achiever, know kaplan bio like back of your hand. supplement with plant and ecology from a text book, and it helps if you have taken anatomy and physiology. i was getting 16 in bio on all of my practice. real dat 23.

Zabispurs said:
Hey guys, thanks for the information. I am definately buying DAT ACHIEVER tommorrow and I already own TOPSCORE. I am not sure about Dr. Romanos book just because it seems like people are marketing it here on SDN rather than recommending it. I really don't want to waste my time going over something and it was no help at all. Not only would this be a waste of my time, but also take my time from studying other material. This is why I love SDN, because I get a good idea how to study for this exam again.
Im not marketing dat destroyer or anything, but I have it. It has some really good questions and explanations in it, very detailed. Anyways i havent taken the DAT yet, im just using Kaplan, DAT destroyer, hopefully DAT achiever and Topscore, and maybe schuams... I feel the kaplan covers the bio pretty well, but if you need some enforcements on the plant and ecology stuff, use a book or look up some stuff online for free. Good luck!