How to dress for Second Looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brock Samson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How should we dress for Second Looks? I've looked over a few different itineraries and they include everything from dinners with faculty/residents at their homes to late night social events with current students. Suit and tie? Dress shirts, slacks, tie or no tie? Jeans and a decent button shirt?

button down shirt, slacks, dress shoes...my schools have informed me of the dress code

If they did not specify a dress code, try to dress appropriately based on the agenda. Sounds like you'll need a button-down/slacks/tie for sure; maybe jeans and button-down or polo for more casual events? I'd probably try to avoid grimy t-shirts and cargo shorts and err on the nicer side. Removing a tie always makes things more casual if you feel like you've overdressed for something.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they did not specify a dress code, try to dress appropriately based on the agenda. Sounds like you'll need a button-down/slacks/tie for sure; maybe jeans and button-down or polo for more casual events? I'd probably try to avoid grimy t-shirts and cargo shorts and err on the nicer side. Removing a tie always makes things more casual if you feel like you've overdressed for something.
^^^ agree.

a suit is probably not needed.

how about tight leather pants?

you already got in, i say tshirt, shorts, flipflops the whole way through (unless it's cold)

you already got in, i say tshirt, shorts, flipflops the whole way through (unless it's cold)

The schools I've heard from all specify business casual, so nice slacks and button downs for men. Just cause you got in, it doesn't mean you need to be disrespectful toward the deans and faculty there. They didn't accept you (general you) based on the assumption that you're a 19-year-old frat boy, so why dress like one? Might as well start dressing like an adult for official meetings and events.

i yam what i yam

just because you're wearing a suit doesn't mean you're not a 19 year old frat boy. and vice versa.

i yam what i yam

just because you're wearing a suit doesn't mean you're not a 19 year old frat boy. and vice versa.

Eh, we'll agree to disagree, I guess. I'm not arguing that wearing flip flops and shorts makes you a frat boy, I'm saying that it makes you look like one. Medicine, especially academic medicine, is still very much a conservative field, and doctors have to wear a shirt and tie under their white coats. We're about to start training in that very field. It's simple as that. Also, second look weekends often involve touring the hospital more in depth, which also means dressing nicely. In general though, while "being yourself" is all well and good, being neatly dressed and looking like an adult is common courtesy and shows maturity. Anyways, to each his own.

so are we saying no to very tight leather pants?

As long as there are no panty lines, I think you're set.

Edit: Also, make sure there's a big "MD2B" patch on the buttocks area.

Easiest way to avoid panty lines: ass-less chaps.

The schools I've heard from all specify business casual, so nice slacks and button downs for men. Just cause you got in, it doesn't mean you need to be disrespectful toward the deans and faculty there. They didn't accept you (general you) based on the assumption that you're a 19-year-old frat boy, so why dress like one? Might as well start dressing like an adult for official meetings and events.

What's wrong with being a 19-year-old frat boy ?
I've been a 19-year-old frat boy for two years haha

Just don't bring your 30 pack of natty light to meet the dean... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
i like to think most deans would appreciate the gesture :)

Y'all think khakis are ok?

Eh, we'll agree to disagree, I guess. I'm not arguing that wearing flip flops and shorts makes you a frat boy, I'm saying that it makes you look like one. Medicine, especially academic medicine, is still very much a conservative field, and doctors have to wear a shirt and tie under their white coats. We're about to start training in that very field. It's simple as that. Also, second look weekends often involve touring the hospital more in depth, which also means dressing nicely. In general though, while "being yourself" is all well and good, being neatly dressed and looking like an adult is common courtesy and shows maturity. Anyways, to each his own.

i agree, and you could possibly be meeting important people that will be involved in your education should you attend said school.

classes aren't so big. you'd be surprised at who will remember your name.

athletic shorts and a mesh undershirt 2 sizes too small. what's up.

Best thing to do... email and ask.

Dress codes run the gamut... many say business casual, many just casual. Like for my school, we don't mind jeans... just don't be a slob.

i yam what i yam

There is a very good chance on any second look weekend that you will be touring hospital facilities (wards, ED, ICU, surg facilities, etc). You need to dress professionally in that environment.

they're just clothes

Attachments

• TheJoker.jpg
    TheJoker.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 93
What type of shoes are acceptable for these events. I do not want to walk around in my loafers all day because they start killing me after a few hours. Are dress boots or nice casual sneakers acceptable?

What type of shoes are acceptable for these events. I do not want to walk around in my loafers all day because they start killing me after a few hours. Are dress boots or nice casual sneakers acceptable?

Dude. You're going to be a doctor. You should be wearing Danskos.

At UVA's second look, the vast majority were wearing business casual attire (i.e. short dresses for girls, polo shirt and shorts for guys - it was warm outside). Some even wore t-shirts!

A few showed up in full suits and ties a la interview day, and they stuck out like sore thumbs. DO NOT make this mistake, no one else will be wearing this outfit (unless your school asks you to dress as such). Ditch the tie, relax, and have fun meeting your potential new classmates.

EDIT: Jeans are absolutely OK, but many wore khakis. Don't wear your best pair of slacks/shoes for reasons discussed above.

The only suit you should be wearing to second looks is your birthday suit. I guarantee you a lot of second looks.

You can't go wrong with all-black, minimalist. Think Sprockets.

sprockets.jpg

At UVA's second look, the vast majority were wearing business casual attire (i.e. short dresses for girls, polo shirt and shorts for guys - it was warm outside). Some even wore t-shirts!

A few showed up in full suits and ties a la interview day, and they stuck out like sore thumbs. DO NOT make this mistake, no one else will be wearing this outfit (unless your school asks you to dress as such). Ditch the tie, relax, and have fun meeting your potential new classmates.

EDIT: Jeans are absolutely OK, but many wore khakis. Don't wear your best pair of slacks/shoes for reasons discussed above.

In what world are shorts and a polo "business casual"?

Back in the day, at the second looks I went to, the vast majority were in business casual attire - ie one step below a suit (slacks and a button-down for men); the sore thumbs were the ones who were underdressed, because then you look very odd traipsing through the hospital and meeting several attendings, residents, etc.

I guess no one but Zenlike actually read my question. Now I'm just waiting for someone to post in here to tell me to wear daisy dukes to 2nd look.

I would wear an oxford shirt, a navy blazer, nice khakis, and dress shoes for the events with faculty, but for the late night social events with students, I would wear this: a Lacoste polo, a cable-knit sweater (to wrap around your neck), khakis, a ribbon belt, and sperry top-siders (boat shoes) with no socks. You can also roll up the khakis to show a little ankle. Good luck.