How to effectively use Scribing stories in PS/Activites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drew28982898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a Medical Scribe at an ENT clinic for a while now. I have some interesting stories working with pituitary tumor patients, complete rhinectomies, and just cancer patients in general. However, I understand that adcoms wants you to show and not tell. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that when my role was specifically not touching the patient? I would prechart and add their diagnostic findings, sometimes go grab instruments for the physician, but mostly just ensure their notes reflected exactly what the doctor says. I have it as my most meaningful activity, as well as in my PS.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a way might be to spin it into how how you worked in a team. But IMO, scribing is a very passive position and you don’t make an impact on the patient, so in my activities section, I made it more of a shadowing type reflection than anything else. I would suggest you reflect on why it’s meaningful to you and why it’s made you go into medicine and write what comes to mind, but personally, I don’t think it’s that good of an activity to write about for both P/S and MME since it’s so passive. Hope that helps!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user