How to enter research conference posters/presentations on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From previous SDN posts, I was confused about what to include as "poster/presentation" or as "publication." I know publication is anything published in a science journal, but some previous posts here have stated that as long as a conference poster involved sending an abstract and that abstract gets published in a conference book, then it can be included under the "publication" category. That's incorrect, right? Whatever is not in a peer-reviewed journal is NOT a publication, correct?

So what's the best way to include the following on AMCAS:
1. 4 Posters at major international conferences (abstract submitted and published online)
2. 1 poster at a national one (abstract submitted and published online).
3. 1 poster at a regional one (abstract submission but no online publication)
4. 1 podium talk done by my PI; I was listed as second author (abstract submitted and listed online)

Do I just include them all as posters?

Members don't see this ad.

From previous SDN posts, I was confused about what to include as "poster/presentation" or as "publication." I know publication is anything published in a science journal, but some previous posts here have stated that as long as a conference poster involved sending an abstract and that abstract gets published in a conference book, then it can be included under the "publication" category. That's incorrect, right? Whatever is not in a peer-reviewed journal is NOT a publication, correct?

So what's the best way to include the following on AMCAS:
1. 4 Posters at major international conferences (abstract submitted and published online)
2. 1 poster at a national one (abstract submitted and published online).
3. 1 poster at a regional one (abstract submission but no online publication)
4. 1 podium talk done by my PI; I was listed as second author (abstract submitted and listed online)

Do I just include them all as posters?
I would not consider an abstract published in a Conference Proceedings Booklet to be a "Publication" for AMCAS purposes. If the abstract were to appear in a paper journal (or a supplement to one) and be PubMed searchable, I would call it a Publication for AMCAS purposes (and you'd include the word "[Abstract]" in the citation).

As to how to include the above posters/presentation: Are any of them based on the same data set?

I listed them in the same format as my publications. For example:
1. poster, "Title", authors in order, conference, date
2. podium talk (presented by Dr.PI), author, conference, date.
Given one of yours was a podium talk presentation by PI, I would just group all of them as "presentations."