How to estimate 4 yrs of school budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jparson86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I will really appreciate your advices. This year I was lucky to get acceptances from four schools. I'm trying to decide which school I should go to and one of my major factor for choosing school is the cost as most of sdn'ers and close dentists said. I tried to estimate the school budget for 4 years for 4 schools but I had no success summing it up. I tried to follow the estimate budget that schools have gave me but some school does not give detailed numbers, so I could not sum it up. How did you guys estimated the cost for 4 years? I believe some school #'s are maximized cost. (My lucky school is Columbia, Nyu, Maryland (Out of state), UMDNJ (Out of state but I heard I could get instate residency by the time I enroll school)

Can anyone help me to estimate the 4yr school budget? I need to put down one deposit since I'm financially very limited. I know cost is only one factor but it is still important to me. You can give me just the number or method that you used to calculate the budget.

Thank you so much guys~:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Attached is a SIMPLE spreadsheet I made to budget how much money I would need. I attend UMaryland, by the way, as an out of state student. I think my budget is fairly typical of a student at my school. You can definitely reduce it by getting rid of the car, getting less expensive haircuts :p, and finding a cheaper place to live--but I'm content with it. Not included in the spreadsheet is tuition and fees which can be found on the Dental School's website. I would estimate it costs between $70 and $75k/year to go to school here as an out of state student.

jb!:)

Attachments

• fall07budget.xlsx
    11.3 KB · Views: 193
Is anyone else having a problem downloading that fall07 UMaryland budget? I can't get it to work and would very much like to as it would be quite helpful. I may go there next Fall as an out of state student and was wondering about the budget as well.

Is anyone else having a problem downloading that fall07 UMaryland budget? I can't get it to work and would very much like to as it would be quite helpful. I may go there next Fall as an out of state student and was wondering about the budget as well.

The file is in the new MS Office 2007 format (.xlsx) as opposed to the format they had for the last 10 years (.xls). I haven't tinkered around to see if there is a plug-in we can get in order to read the new format on all of the new microsoft office programs. Maybe this is their way of making everyone upgrade and pay more money. :(

The file is in the new MS Office 2007 format (.xlsx) as opposed to the format they had for the last 10 years (.xls). I haven't tinkered around to see if there is a plug-in we can get in order to read the new format on all of the new microsoft office programs. Maybe this is their way of making everyone upgrade and pay more money. :(
The File is XLSX because its the newest word. You can download the file convertor stuff from Microsoft.

Attached is a SIMPLE spreadsheet I made to budget how much money I would need. I attend UMaryland, by the way, as an out of state student. I think my budget is fairly typical of a student at my school. You can definitely reduce it by getting rid of the car, getting less expensive haircuts :p, and finding a cheaper place to live--but I'm content with it. Not included in the spreadsheet is tuition and fees which can be found on the Dental School's website. I would estimate it costs between $70 and $75k/year to go to school here as an out of state student.

Thanx! JB! You are the MAN!!:)

Alternatively you can use www.zamzar.com to convert it for you without having to dl anything.

here is the file in the old format, i believe. hope it works for everyone..

now back to studying for by neuro exam i have in 2 hours :rolleyes:

Attachments

• fall07budget.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 87