How to explain consistently low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myopiastigmatism78787

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If they ask about it don't give any excuses. Just admit you messed up in the past and talk about your upward trend in grades as a maturation process. If you wanna apply with a low GPA, the only thing you can do is demonstrate that you've grown and learned from your mistakes. Your improvement in grades on the retakes and decent OAT score show that.

Or you can do a post-bacc to increase your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @Meeehai ! I agree. I have no excuses to give.

As long as you've proved you can handle it now, I'm sure you'll be fine. I didn't work as hard in undergrad and had an overall ugpa under >3.0.. I look at it as a lack of maturity at that point and find no excuse in it now. Took the past two years off to work full time in a lab and have been working on my MS in mol.bio and I've significantly made a 180... Not to mention I'm way busier now then I was prior to my graduation in 2013. I've submitted my applications for the '16 cycle and so far have received an interview within a week or so after verification... (Still waiting on a committee letter so that's delaying some stuff) ..It's possible, just don't make excuses for your mistakes and learn from that.. I'm sure they'll see the change you've made... Focus on the positive and what you've learned about yourself during the process :) good luck!

As long as you've proved you can handle it now, I'm sure you'll be fine. I didn't work as hard in undergrad and had an overall ugpa under >3.0.. I look at it as a lack of maturity at that point and find no excuse in it now. Took the past two years off to work full time in a lab and have been working on my MS in mol.bio and I've significantly made a 180... Not to mention I'm way busier now then I was prior to my graduation in 2013. I've submitted my applications for the '16 cycle and so far have received an interview within a week or so after verification... (Still waiting on a committee letter so that's delaying some stuff) ..It's possible, just don't make excuses for your mistakes and learn from that.. I'm sure they'll see the change you've made... Focus on the positive and what you've learned about yourself during the process :) good luck!
I agree absolutely! Thank you so much. Best of luck to you!!