how to explain withdrawl from semester on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am currently in a masters program and had to withdraw from all classes in the fall semester. I needed some time to spend with my family since my mother has been a coma and my recently grandpa passed from throat cancer.

I am planning on returning next semester and applying in the summer. I already have my personal statement written.

How should I include the explanation from my withdrawals in my PS? Should I mention it in passing or incorporate it into my PS? How much detail should I include about the events?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you discussed about your mother and grandfather in your PS, I would consider explaining your reasons in secondaries and interviews, instead of your PS.

The reason others might say for including your explanations in the PS is to illustrate the magnitude of such events in your life. But, beyond that, I would not include any more details about your withdrawals in the PS. One sentence should suffice, in my opinion.

I'm still in the PS reader list, so you may PM me if you would like to have further discussions.

I see. Should I include details about what happened to my family?

or just say that I suffered a setback forcing me to withdraw

I see. Should I include details about what happened to my family?

or just say that I suffered a setback forcing me to withdraw

Describe the details about what happened. You can mention withdrawals to show how serious this was, but know that things you got out of this event and things you learned are more important.