How to Express Interest in a Favorite EM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hothause

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently interviewed at a program that would be a fantastic fit for me and I was wondering what is appropriate in terms of expressing interest as this process goes forward, particularly for EM. Aside from the super exuberant thank you card, is there anything else I should being do as the process continues if they continue to be high on my list?

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently interviewed at a program that would be a fantastic fit for me and I was wondering what is appropriate in terms of expressing interest as this process goes forward, particularly for EM. Aside from the super exuberant thank you card, is there anything else I should being do as the process continues if they continue to be high on my list?

Two words: Naked... Pictures...

:D

Seriously though, the thank you note is probably the best you're going to do. The other option I can think of would be going to the program for a "second look." I'm not sure it would affect the programs view of you, but it might help you get a better idea of what's gong on at the program and express interest without the risk of pestering the office at a particularly busy time.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed several years ago, I knew which was my number 1 program and when I interviewed, I told them that I wanted to go there and I told them they were the number 1 on my rank list.

I did not say that to any other program because I believe in keeping your word and not just saying something to say something.

They told me that I was going to match there if that truly was the case. Or something like that (because they cannot reveal their rank list to you for obvious reasons).

They told me that I was going to match there if that truly was the case. Or something like that (because they cannot reveal their rank list to you for obvious reasons).

Actually, a program can reveal anything about their rank list, and your position on it that they wish. You can't technically ask them about it, but there's nothing to prevent them offering up the info voluntarily.

Do you think it makes a difference to your chance of matching if you tell a program you are ranking them #1?

I've heard some people (PD's) state they like this info and it will give you a better shot.
Others have said it doesn't make any difference.

I have a couple of places that I would be totally happy at, but for very different reasons.
Beyond my top three, my happiness on match day would go way down.

If the "i love you best" note really pulls some weight, I might be more inclined to use it at the place I already think I have the best chance of matching.
One of the places I really like, might be a harder match.
I don't want to waste this card, and end up matching at a place I don't really like.

End neurotic med student rant...

Do you think it makes a difference to your chance of matching if you tell a program you are ranking them #1?

I've heard some people (PD's) state they like this info and it will give you a better shot.

I have a couple of places that I would be totally happy at, but for very different reasons.

If the "i love you best" note really pulls some weight, I might be more inclined to use it at the place I already think I have the best chance of matching.
I don't want to waste this card, and end up matching at a place I don't really like.

I think it does help especially during the initial post-interview meeting that the interviewers do to help start the rank list. Atleast at my program, it does.

A quick note to the PD stating your hope of matching to their program and why goes a long way.

I think you should use your "i love you best" note at the place that you truly love the best. Don't rank or attempt to influence based on where you think you would match but where you want to match.. I think that's how this is all supposed to work. Best of luck to you Gman. -fellow neurotic med student

just wanted to add that if you interviewed somewhere, they must have thought highly off you. Further, if they made you like them, then they probably liked you.

Last edited: