How to fight burn out?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medicine<3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent college graduate with a 3.47 cGPA and have taken the MCAT twice (23 the first time and 24 the second time). I am currently taking an MCAT prep course to hopefully improve my scores drastically and prep for the new Psychology/Sociology section.

I have noticed I have become increasingly disinterested in studying and very easily distracted. I am worried I am burning out... How can I fight through this?

Also I worry that I am not motivated to apply, but I cannot imagine my life not becoming a physician. What should I do?

I appreciate the feedback/support.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent college graduate with a 3.47 cGPA and have taken the MCAT twice (23 the first time and 24 the second time). I am currently taking an MCAT prep course to hopefully improve my scores drastically and prep for the new Psychology/Sociology section.

I have noticed I have become increasingly disinterested in studying and very easily distracted. I am worried I am burning out... How can I fight through this?

Also I worry that I am not motivated to apply, but I cannot imagine my life not becoming a physician. What should I do?

Do things that are fun. You can't work 24/7

Reactions: 7 users
I found neglecting studying to be extremely tempting, especially when you know the test is ~5 months away. I am naturally very easily distractible as well, so I made sure to have a very specifically laid-out schedule. On week days, I put aside 7am-11am every Mon/Wed/Fri for MCAT stuff (i am a morning person, but choose the time of day that works best for you) and scheduled all of my undergrad lectures, research, volunteering etc. around that. If you're like me, you can't just tell yourself "i'm gonna study three hours per day", because that isn't structured enough and you'll be tempted to put it off until 9pm (the last 3 hours of that day) and be more likely to blow that day off altogether. getting a structured routine is really important to staying on track.

I did allow myself a little fluidity on weekends, just because they are less predictable (for me) than my week days. I did 4 hours across the whole weekend-- I tried to do 2 hours per day , but if I was particularly ambitious and got say, 3.5 hours done on saturday I only had to do .5 hours on sunday, which felt like a (small) reward.

For break down of what I studied and when-- since I did M/W/F, I used one day to study Physical sciences, one to study Biological sciences, and the other to "study" Verbal (and by study, I mean take practice section tests ANDDD go back and review wrong AND right answers-- may seem obvious, but some people neglect this part. reviewing practice tests is key to improving). Obviously, with the new MCAT, you will have to adjust how you organize your study topics, but again, routine and structure is important. otherwise I would have probably studied general chemistry and biology only and never glanced at orgo. I was also in an MCAT prep course, which helped because I coordinated my week day studying to the class syllabus. although that does depend on how condense of a course you take (I took a 3.5 month long course. But I know some people take like a 20 day course, which I would not want to do)

I used weekends to review material from the week that I did not feel I had as strong of a grasp on (which was usually orgo). Once I reached about 2 months out from the test, I used saturdays to take full lengths and sundays to review them-- I highly suggest that you do not review answers right after you take the full lengths. you will already be tired of testing and trying to do this right after will just become more disinteresting and you won't gain as much from it. Also, take full lengths at the same time you would take the real thing, and try to simulate the same kind of environment-- wake up at the same time you will have to for your commute, eat a good breakfast before, don't play music during breaks, etc. I felt this gave me a greater sense of comfort and ease going into the real thing, which likely helped my performance.

I also used a "don't break the chain calendar" (google search has many). I'm never usually big on calendars but it did help to have a graphic showing me exactly how far away my test was.

I was also very fortunate to have a roomie/best friend who kept a watchful eye on me and wasn't afraid to get strict (in a loving way) if she saw I was starting to slip a bit.

I hope this helps!!

I'm a little embarrassed about how anal this whole post sounds, lol. but it really did help me stay focused and on track. best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be very hard to dig yourself out of the 3.47 (is your science GPA higher?) and 2 extremely low MCATs to get into medical school in an ever-increasingly competitive applicant pool. I would normally say give yourself a break and party / find some drinking buddies / start playing a sport... but I think if you are still ONLY considering being a physician you really need to get your grades in order. Try different study methods? Ace your classes. Maybe look into a post-bacc program?

If ur burning out in college there's no way ud make it through med school where it's much more work and much more intense. That said if u wanna waste 300K I'm sure Caribbean schools would def take ur application..

Reactions: 1 user
kill_it_with_fire.gif

It seems that you like the idea of becoming a doctor, but you don't really want to be a doctor. I could see how taking the MCAT twice, and not getting a competitive score would be tiresome. That being said if failure does not motivate you enough, there is not much else that can be said. Also, you can't "hope" for your scores to go up, you have to make them go up. Again with the dreaming. It's time to wake up Timmy. Get dressed and come down for breakfast.

#1 You should actively explore other career pathways.
#2 You are at high risk of not being able to complete medical school from an academic perspective. Low scores, multiple retakes etc. These are red flags when put together.
#3 What makes you hopeful that you will improve your MCAT score? In general, you should not retake a score because of what you got. You should retake a score because you have a reasonable expectation of improving upon that score. Common examples would be people that get sick during the testing, inadequate preparation (usually corrected on their second take).
#4 Why can't you imagine life not becoming a physician? You've spent the last 2 decades of your life as something other than a physician. You need to figure this out before all else.

Status
Not open for further replies.