How to fill out apps using computer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grunermann

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not very good with a typewriter and have been getting other people to type my applications. I was just wondering, is there an easy way to use word to get these applications done?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a typewritter so I am handwriting all my applications. I don't think the ad coms will mind as long as it is neat.
I don't know how you would use word to type them. It will be very difficult.

I used MS word to type a lot of apps...even stony brook that has lines ontheir secondary...i was able to find a line spacing that fit the secondary app...just takes a few practice print outs before and make sure you copy the secondaries... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would strongly suggest typing the secondary applications. Albeit neat handwriting is a plus it is almost expected that you type everything. The reason I say this is because several of my applications have explicitly stated to type them. At first, I wasn't good with a typewriter either but it is a short learning curve to become a skilled typist. Plus the eraser on typerwriters is a lifesaver. To practice just photocopy an application and pretend its the real thing.
Its actually kind of a good feeling for me at least to have them typed due to my sloppy handwriting. As far as using word to do the apps I have only done this with those applications that ask for essays and give you a large area to respond. What I did in these situations was first photocopy the page and print out the essay using that page and make sure that everything matches up. after making necessary adjustments, ie, margins and spacing just run the secondary through. I would avoid inkjet printers as they can smear. Try to use a laserjet. Looks better. Any questions?

I second the typing of your secondaries too!!! Get a typewriter!