How to find associate positions that pay well for new graduates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bababooya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious. I have seen all the job postings on monster.com and other various national websites. Most of those job postings are put up by recruiters and big dental chains. My question is where and how does one find associate positions in non-dental chain practices?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Word of mouth - most of the best jobs out there are never posted. Either that, or move to Texas.

What he said.

The best jobs are never advertised. You need to network with dentists, supply reps, and attend local dental society meetings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with Dentists (solo practices) Nationwide and I had an ad on Craigslist and Monster for the past 2 months, One for Panama city Fl Dentist looking for an associate and one for Williamson, WV looking for an associate. I was really surprised with the lack of response. So I guess my question to you would be where would you look as a new graduate looking for a position?

I work with Dentists (solo practices) Nationwide and I had an ad on Craigslist and Monster for the past 2 months, One for Panama city Fl Dentist looking for an associate and one for Williamson, WV looking for an associate. I was really surprised with the lack of response. So I guess my question to you would be where would you look as a new graduate looking for a position?

Many dentists around the country would send letters to my dental school announcing available associate positions. These announcements would be placed on a bulletin board. I thought this was the easiest way to find a job.

Everyone looks at monster.com, but just to get a feel for what's out there. When looking for openings on monster.com, the general feel is that the ad is probably old and already filled by the time you read it. Then, it takes too much effort to fill out your CV on the website just to find out the position is already taken.

Just go to the city you want to work in and ask the dentists in the area. Most older dentists are not computer savvy and so you won't find them online. You have to know where you want to live 1st... After 2 years of experience and learning from an older Dr. that you work with, either buy in or just set up your own practice. You'll make tons more money doing your own practice...!