How to Find Derm Research??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 who wants to do derm and have already arranged to take 9-12 months off for research starting this summer. Because I can't do a full year (complicated, can only do like 10 months), I wasn't able to consider NIH and full-time paid one-year positions.

I've already emailed several MDs at my home institution as well as some institutions back at my hometown. The lack of responses from them is really annoying...I mean all I want to do is help out with research for free and help with other tasks that they might need help with...and they don't even respond. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have any tips for getting a higher response rate from prospective PIs? I'm from a top 20 med school and have performed very well so I feel those are not limiting me...and I've also mentioned I'm willing to volunteer and be totally flexible with hours. I also really show my interest in the emails so I'm not sure what else I can do....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS3 who wants to do derm and have already arranged to take 9-12 months off for research starting this summer. Because I can't do a full year (complicated, can only do like 10 months), I wasn't able to consider NIH and full-time paid one-year positions.

I've already emailed several MDs at my home institution as well as some institutions back at my hometown. The lack of responses from them is really annoying...I mean all I want to do is help out with research for free and help with other tasks that they might need help with...and they don't even respond. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have any tips for getting a higher response rate from prospective PIs? I'm from a top 20 med school and have performed very well so I feel those are not limiting me...and I've also mentioned I'm willing to volunteer and be totally flexible with hours. I also really show my interest in the emails so I'm not sure what else I can do....

It sounds like they might be either 1. really busy or 2. seeing you as a "derm gunner." Are these derm-specific research projects? I think I would try to show interest in research but maybe not go too heavy on the derm part.

It sounds like they might be either 1. really busy or 2. seeing you as a "derm gunner." Are these derm-specific research projects? I think I would try to show interest in research but maybe not go too heavy on the derm part.

Yeah hopefully they are just busy but will respond when they get the chance...still rly frustrating tho. Yeah I did specifically mention derm research but I was specifically emailing derm departments and physicians

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah hopefully they are just busy but will respond when they get the chance...still rly frustrating tho. Yeah I did specifically mention derm research but I was specifically emailing derm departments and physicians

big publishers in upenn, harvard, tufts, nw, wake forest, ucsf--email them and see if they have anything you could do remotely. i'm talking about those who have >100 pubmed articles.

Reactions: 1 users
I would recommend finding a mentor at your institution that does research in field that can related to dermatology, as you seem to have a tough time getting a response from derm researchers at your institution. Melanoma research, basic immunology research, cellulitis or soft tissue infection research come to mind.