How to find Optometrist to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nimue619

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went to a SUNY interview and they told me to follow 2 or 3 optometrists for a day and write a 2 page Reaction paper. Then they will decide whether or not to accept me. Did anyone else ever get this? How do I look for an optometrist to shadow? Just by flipping through the yellowbook? How long do ppl usually shadow for? Is a day enough?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a weird request. I did observe two optometrist and one ophthamologist. Since I live in a different city then where my family optometrists was, I just went on the internet to find offices. I e-mailed one and just stopped by the other office and asked if I could observe. I would suggest doing different settings (family practice, pediatrics, vision therapy, retail, etc.) That way you will have a broader perspective and more to write about. Even though I don't want to be an ophthamologist, that observation was very interesting, it was so neat to see surgery done on the eye. Good Luck!

Nimue619 said:
I just went to a SUNY interview and they told me to follow 2 or 3 optometrists for a day and write a 2 page Reaction paper. Then they will decide whether or not to accept me. Did anyone else ever get this? How do I look for an optometrist to shadow? Just by flipping through the yellowbook? How long do ppl usually shadow for? Is a day enough?

If it were me, I'd contact the state association and go see those guys, maybe the current or past president, whatever. They will give you a great deal of insight into the profession and where they see it heading, as well as some of the issues optometry as a profession is dealing with. I think you'd be able to write a much better paper that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nimue619 said:

i got that too, what i did was got my optometrist, she let me follow her around, then i asked her if she knew any others (tell them your situation or they will think you are taking your business elsewhere), then i pulled up to a vision center, talked to an opth and an opt. each session lasted maybe 4-5 hours.

after that i wrote my paper and submitted it. easy!
have fun

still_confused said:
i got that too, what i did was got my optometrist, she let me follow her around, then i asked her if she knew any others (tell them your situation or they will think you are taking your business elsewhere), then i pulled up to a vision center, talked to an opth and an opt. each session lasted maybe 4-5 hours.

after that i wrote my paper and submitted it. easy!
have fun

Did u get accepted after writing the paper? I didn't feel very confident after the interview. They really hit my weak spots. Sigh. So I still feel scared long after the interview. I can't rest till I get an answer. Luckily my mom's optometrist is willing to help me and I am going to follow him on Saturday. I also found another one that specializes in vision therapy that I think will help me but I have to wait for his call first. So that's two so far. I think I should find one more.

Nimue619 said:
Did u get accepted after writing the paper? I didn't feel very confident after the interview. They really hit my weak spots. Sigh. So I still feel scared long after the interview. I can't rest till I get an answer. Luckily my mom's optometrist is willing to help me and I am going to follow him on Saturday. I also found another one that specializes in vision therapy that I think will help me but I have to wait for his call first. So that's two so far. I think I should find one more.

yes i did, just be sure to answer all the questions they ask on the letter SUNY sends you. and i was also hammered in the optometry portion of the interview, though i think i did pretty well on the extracirriculars and reasons for new york part.

it looks like you are off to a great start, it took me awhile to get the second opt to schedule a good time.

good luck ! :thumbup:

It's been a while. I have only been able to shadow one optometrist so far. Does anyone know any optometrist in NYC that u know are willing to help? :(

:) if you're having difficulty finding an OD to shadow, try volunteering at other places (ie: hospital, health centre, etc...)... ANY clinical/medical exposure is favorably looked upon. i was accepted without much OD shadowing experience, but i have tonns of health care related voluneering and EC's. so just be open to that as well. good luck! :)

Nimue619 said:
It's been a while. I have only been able to shadow one optometrist so far. Does anyone know any optometrist in NYC that u know are willing to help? :(

Hi,
I have an interview with SUNY in two weeks and you guys have got me freaked out! How did they grill you on the optometry portion of the interview? I have job shadowed three optometrists all in a different mode of practice. But I never job shadowed an opthamologist...do they care?

Thanks

it may be even better this way... you don't have to explain any interest in ophthalmology. :)

tatiyana said:
Hi,
I have an interview with SUNY in two weeks and you guys have got me freaked out! How did they grill you on the optometry portion of the interview? I have job shadowed three optometrists all in a different mode of practice. But I never job shadowed an opthamologist...do they care?

Thanks

Nimue619 said:

I'm in the same situation! I was interviewed by SUNY this past Wednesday and I came out pretty scared because they kept constantly on asking different types of questions...questions that I couldn't have possibly prepared for. Specific questions are:

1. DO you agree with G.W. Bush's nomination of the new court judge.
2. What is the most controversial issue?
3. (Since SUNY is the only school I've applied to cuz I'm an NYC resident) What if you don't get in to SUNY? Then what would you do?

I could go on and on... so at the end of the day I was asked to write a similar sort of reaction paper, otherwise they wouldnt even consider accepting me. Here's my stats if any of you are interested:

GPA: 3.4 (graduating in May with bachelor's degree in chemistry)
OAT AA: 340
OAT TS: 370
Extracuuriculars: 3 years of summer research, received awards, and currently working on an undergraduate thesis, varsity sports...etc.
The only thing is that I didn't shadow any optometrists. So basically they totally disregarded by acedemic credentials and just looked for whether I had worked for one..

I feel totally robbed. :mad:

still_confused said:
yes i did, just be sure to answer all the questions they ask on the letter SUNY sends you. and i was also hammered in the optometry portion of the interview, though i think i did pretty well on the extracirriculars and reasons for new york part.

it looks like you are off to a great start, it took me awhile to get the second opt to schedule a good time.

good luck ! :thumbup:
still_confused, what kind of questions did the letter ask you to answer? I haven't received anything from SUNY yet. I just hope it wouldn't be a rejection letter.