May 11, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Is there a website/reading material where I can find out about Cardiology scope of practice, procedures and lifestyle? I know the educational requirements to become a cardiologist, but don't know what happens once a Cardiologist is in practice after fellowship. Do most Cardiologists have clinics? Do they work strictly in hospital settings?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

May 11, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Bump, dudes.

I'm also interested in how difficult it is to get a Cardiology fellowship after doing a D.O. residency. Further, if a D.O. student does an Allopathic residency, how prestigious does the program have to be in order to get a Cardiology fellowship?

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've only seen DO's very occasionally in allopathic cardiology fellowships. However, I'm not sure if it's a function of having attended a DO school or more a function of not being able to get residency at the higher up academic allopathic med centers for IM. There's also the issue of USMLE scores. Some people go to DO schools because they've struggled with the MCAT, and those people tend to struggle more with USMLE also, which could be a problem for getting cards fellowship. Also, some DO students don't take the USMLE at all, which could be a problem.

I'm assuming DO hospitals have their own cardiology fellowships, but not sure how many there are.

I would think that with the expanding number of DO schools and the fact that in recent years some have moved closer to MD schools in terms of admissions stats and teaching/curriculum (while MD schools may have moved a bit in their direction too, in terms of philosophy and teaching), we may see more DO's in allopathic IM fellowships, but that's just a theory.

If you are going DO and want allopathic cards fellowship, I would suggest doing what MD grads do to try to get allo cards fellowship.
1) get into the best allopathic university IM residency you can
2) do cardiology research and get something published
3) try to get USMLE scores at or above the national average
4) get LOR's from cardiologists, hopefully ones with at least associate professor level and full prof is better if they know you/if you can get one

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.