How to find out if a medication is a controlled medication at CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a pharmacy technician at cvs pharmacy. I know most of the common controlled C2 and C3 medications. However, there are ones that have me questioning if they are controlled or not such as trazodone, which for some reason I always thought was a controlled medication. I was trying to find a way to check this on cvs computer by pressing F3 and searching the drug name. However, in the DEA class it just says LEGENDRX? Does anyone know how to check DEA class of drugs on cvs rxconnect?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You might be thinking of tramadol as far as it being controlled. But when you press the "drug" F3 button, it will show the DEA class of the drug. If you press enter, it will also tell you a brief description of the mechanism of the drug, and pregnancy category.

No I was talking about trazodone. I always thought it was a controlled prescription but its not. I know tramadol is conyrolled. But when I tried to do the F3 and look at DEA class is just says LegendRX?
You might be thinking of tramadol as far as it being controlled. But when you press the "drug" F3 button, it will show the DEA class of the drug. If you press enter, it will also tell you a brief description of the mechanism of the drug, and pregnancy category.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I was talking about trazodone. I always thought it was a controlled prescription but its not. I know tramadol is conyrolled. But when I tried to do the F3 and look at DEA class is just says LegendRX?

LegendRX means its prescription only but not controlled.

Reactions: 1 users
So I am a pharmacy technician at cvs pharmacy. I know most of the common controlled C2 and C3 medications. However, there are ones that have me questioning if they are controlled or not such as trazodone, which for some reason I always thought was a controlled medication. I was trying to find a way to check this on cvs computer by pressing F3 and searching the drug name. However, in the DEA class it just says LEGENDRX? Does anyone know how to check DEA class of drugs on cvs rxconnect?
Thank you

The manufacturer bottle should be labeled as a control and what type of control it is.

Right, F3 function shows what class (OTC, Legend/Rx only, Class II, III, IV, V). MFR stock bottle will show symbol "Rx only" or have "C II, CIII, CIV, CV" symbol. Note: some discrepancies with state specific controls (i.e. Gabapentin will have Rx only but technically a control in say Kentucky)

Reactions: 1 users