How to find per diem or flexible jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Username2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in working one or two weekend psychiatry shift per month in or near Seattle, WA. I'd be happy to do inpatient, ER, consults, or telepsychiatry. For instance, a friend of mine works for Kaiser in San Francisco and she is part of a doctor pool. She is able to sign up for any number of shifts as long as she does so a few months in advanced. Do you have any tips on how to go about finding a position like this?

Some options I was considering:

-Checking job postings at hospital websites and calling Seattle-area hospitals

-Considering telepsychiatry. Any recommendations on companies?

-Using a recruiter.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

you should contact the medical director of the service of wherever you would like to do something. You could also the UW residency office if they know of anything. Presumably this would be to supplement your income. The main places I am aware of where they are often looking for weekend coverage are Overlake, Kitsap Mental Health, and Harborview. You could also try Multicare and Fairfax but I think they may be less likely to have something. As few people want to work weekends you may find yourself popular if you are able to commit to regular shifts. I would avoid recruiters for this kind of thing, and be careful with inpatient or ER telepsychiatry as there are significant limitations to doing this kind of work in that way and you can incur additional liability.

Reactions: 1 user
you should contact the medical director of the service of wherever you would like to do something. You could also the UW residency office if they know of anything. Presumably this would be to supplement your income. The main places I am aware of where they are often looking for weekend coverage are Overlake, Kitsap Mental Health, and Harborview. You could also try Multicare and Fairfax but I think they may be less likely to have something. As few people want to work weekends you may find yourself popular if you are able to commit to regular shifts. I would avoid recruiters for this kind of thing, and be careful with inpatient or ER telepsychiatry as there are significant limitations to doing this kind of work in that way and you can incur additional liability.
These shifts would service to give me more clinical experience since the job I'm considering taking (during the week) is not very clinical. I'll definitely reach out to the places you mentioned.

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I'm not familiar with the health systems around the Seattle area, so your recommendations are a huge help!