How to find shadowing opportunity?Do doctors require scrub experience/qualification for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Constantlythinking

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, thank you in advance for replying.
I am sophomore studying biology.
I want to find some shadowing experience over the summer but I have been hitting rejection after rejection.
One of the doctors told me to get trained as a scrub and then I can shadow.
Is it normal for doctors to ask pre-med students to get scrub qualification/ scrub experience before shadowing?
What are some other ways that I can try other than asking my family doctor and asking hospital volunteering departments?
All advice will be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, thank you in advance for replying.
I am sophomore studying biology.
I want to find some shadowing experience over the summer but I have been hitting rejection after rejection.
One of the doctors told me to get trained as a scrub and then I can shadow.
Is it normal for doctors to ask pre-med students to get scrub qualification/ scrub experience before shadowing?
What are some other ways that I can try other than asking my family doctor and asking hospital volunteering departments?
All advice will be appreciated.
Thanks again.
I didn't need scrub experience -- family doctor is a great place to start. From there, maybe you can get referrals to other doctors, or maybe the doctor is part of a group and that could lead to other opportunities in other offices, or in affiliated specialties. I don't think asking for that experience was normal; I think it was a way to get rid of you since it's pretty unreasonable to require it just to observe and ask questions. Good luck!!!

Sorry to hear about the rejections! I know that's tough but keep on trying and you'll find someone eventually :) I think this page here "How to ask to shadow a doctor" will be helpful to help you learn how to find doctors to shadow and how to ask them as well. I have never heard of a scrubs requirements to shadow! Good luck!!