How to find what group is contracted to a hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res1cue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to start PGY3 year, starting the job hunt. I know what area I want to live, but dont have any contacts in the area.

What is the best way to find out which group currently holds the contract with the hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

About to start PGY3 year, starting the job hunt. I know what area I want to live, but dont have any contacts in the area.

What is the best way to find out which group currently holds the contract with the hospital?
Cold call the EDs and ask the doc on duty for the email address of the guy in charge of hiring.

Cold call the EDs and ask the doc on duty for the email address of the guy in charge of hiring.

Before that, I'd google around and see if you can find the email address online for the ED director. If google search is fruitless, then cold call with "I'm sorry to bug you but I can't find a good contact on the internet. Could you help me with the email address of your director?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I've thought about doing this but when I think of a typical shift I think the majority of attendings would be busy and calling with this question would kind of work against you...has anyone had a good experience doing something like this?

Yeah you're actually right. First, I would only call as a last resort after I've exhausted all efforts searching online. Then, I'd ask the ED clerk to refer me to the ED medical director, and ask her for her/his name and/or contact info. However, when I have done this before, I have been referred to the ED physician on, who once happened to be the director herself. And she was happy to talk to me.

I've thought about doing this but when I think of a typical shift I think the majority of attendings would be busy and calling with this question would kind of work against you...has anyone had a good experience doing something like this?

Yes, I got 5 job interviews and my current "unicorn" job doing this. In fact, it's all I did. It's beyond me why anyone looks for a job any other way. The good jobs don't advertise. If you want to work in Denver or Portland or Salt Lake or Flagstaff or Boise etc, then you're going to have to do this because that's how all these groups hire. They don't advertise in the back of Annals like EmCare and TeamHealth.

If a prospective doc calls my ED, I'll get on the phone with him for a couple of minutes for sure. If you're really worried, call at 7 am when it probably won't be that busy.

I agree. Cold call is a good method. Ask the clerk for the director's email. Often times they'll give it to you.

Imagine you're a little short staffed and your group is looking to hire. Then during one of your shifts a doctor cold calls your dept interested in working there. Of course it'd be worth it to spend 2 minutes talking with them. You certainly won't resent their showing interest and hold it against them.

Honestly, we get interrupted so much anyway, what's one more phone call? (as long as you made it very clear you weren't a recruiter. Those I wouldn't ever talk to.)

I'd certainly take a few minutes to talk to a doc who wanted to come work with us, just like I'll talk to the doc at the office down the street sending someone in. And sign 3 EKGs in the midst of it.

I back door networked into my current unicorn. However, it took several months of persistence and me flying on out my own time/dime to make it happen. I don't regret it for a second.

I would just cold call around 7-9am when its not busy. The vast majority of ED docs would be happy to give you the director's name or the hiring coordinator. I would get calls 3-4 times a year and I would just pass the number of our hiring person.

Most ED docs are pleasant and would even answer some questions when not too busy.

Also, use your residency resources. Ask the docs around and unless you are going cross country people know people all over and can help. I moved 2k miles and got a 2nd unicorn job by hustling and using my contacts. Cold calling as a last resort.