How to find/what to look for in clinical research positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icy14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my first of several gap years, and am still looking for work. I've been advised by several doctors that the one thing that would really improve my app at this point is clinical research, since I have no research experience. However, I live in ND where there are zero opportunities, so I'm planning to move to Minneapolis where there are many more opportunities (which I'm excited about).
  1. Best way to find a good clinical research position? Job websites? Academic medical centers? Contacting professors directly? Would I even be able to get a position at a university that I didn't attend? Because I'm sure they give preference to their own students... There's also programs like SURF but I'm not an undergraduate anymore so I don't think I qualify...
  2. Given that not all positions are created equal, what should I look for in a job description that would indicate it's going to be the right kind of experience and actually beneficial? What kind of roles/duties?
  3. I've been advised by a very knowledgeable doctor that it's important to work for a public company and not a private one, unless it's very cutting-edge research. Is this true? How would I determine this?
  4. How important are publications? How do I find positions with a higher chance of getting published?
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Clinical research usually means research with human subjects. Much of this research takes place in academic medical centers; the employees that work on these projects are often university employees rather than hospital/clinic employees. However, the decisions about study design often rest with a sponsor which is often a pharmaceutical company or a cooperative group (very common in cancer trials). There is some "investigator initiated" projects but the opportunity to get in on the study design or data analysis of these projects is rare for a college grad.

What would improve your application right now is not clinical research but basic science research. There are rare instances where this might include human subjects (e.g. some neuroscience) but most is bench research with cell cultures, DNA samples, or animal models. Academic medical centers and research universities are typical sites for such research. You have a far greater likelihood of having a hand in study design, data analysis and publication with bench research than with human subjects research in a clinical setting.

Take a look online at UMinnesota. You'd be looking for a full-time job in the Twin Cities that is in research.
Researcher I might be a job title to focus in on.
Here's one job description for a Researcher I.

This position will assist the principal investigator, postdoctoral associates and students with laboratory research experiments. Assist with administrative duties and conduct of experiments on motor learning in mice. This includes the handling of mice, intracranial surgery, behavioral training, and brain imaging.

Job Duties:

80%: Assist other research lab staff with animal experiments. Prepare materials for surgery. Perform intracranial surgery in mice, including the injection of viral vectors into the brain. Train mice to perform a behavioral task using custom training software. Keep detailed records of all experiments and procedures. Assist staff with two-photon brain imaging experiments. Perform perfusions and histology when needed.

20%: Assists with basic lab duties (buffer preparation, dishwashing, dye preparation, autoclaving, etc.). Transport of materials to other buildings, when needed. Order animals and supplies for the laboratory. Maintain critical regulatory documentation (e.g., controlled substances, safety, animal care).

Reactions: 2 users
4. How important are publications? How do I find positions with a higher chance of getting published?
Thanks for your help!
4) It is the experience of being involved in research and gaining an understanding of the scientific method that is important. Having a publication would be an accomplishment, but is not a requirement, or even an unwritten expectation. More easily acquired evidence of research productivity would be through posters or presentations. In my experience, over a relatively short period of time, one is less likely to get a publication's authorship position from a (commonly, years-long) clinical research project than one would in basic science.

Reactions: 3 users
1. You can try job websites or look at postings on the university’s or medical center’s website.

2. The best way to figure out if the position is right for you is to ask questions during the interview. Ask if there are opportunities to participate in study design or assist with publications. Ask about the kinds of patient/participant contact. Do you get to work directly with patients or are you stuck doing phone screens and admin work? What opportunities do you have for learning/education (e.g. can you attend conferences, participate in journal clubs, take classes)? Every lab/PI is different and the job descriptions don’t always tell you everything about the day-to-day. If you don't have a preference, I would apply to both basic and clinical positions and take whatever sounds best.

3. I’ve only worked for public universities. I think generally private pays a little more, but the benefits in public are hard to beat.

4. Ask about this in interviews! Some PIs will help you publish or present if that’s what you want. You can also look at the PI’s publications to see what kind of output there is.

Reactions: 1 users