How to Fit all Occurrences into Experience Description

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mreyno18

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I 2 experience slots filled with 1 experience, 5 filled with 2 different experiences (under the same category), 5 filled with 3 different experiences, and 3 filled with 4 different experiences (Ex. 4 different non-clinical volunteering opportunities in one slot)

This creates difficulty when it comes to writing the descriptions of each experience. I have read a lot on different sites and forms, as well as watched different YouTubers about how to go about the AMCAS application. It seems like the way to go is more stories than descriptions (because adcoms usually know what the common experiences entail).

What is the best way to go about it in my case when each slot is filled with multiple different experiences that are completely different but under the same category? Is it best to just share one story of the experience that has the most impact / is the most important / has the most hours? Or what -- because I don't know if I can find a way to describe all (especially the 3-4 ones) of them in the character limit...

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably follow the instructions or else they might reject you for just that.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
You should probably follow the instructions or else they might reject you for just that.
I didn't think that was against the rules. You can have four occurrences for each experience.

For example one of my experiences is for the category non-clinical volunteering (children/youth-based):
  1. Youth Tutoring In Schools
  2. Kids Church Volunteer
  3. Mentor Program (Like Big-Little Sister)
  4. Boys and Girls Club Volunteer

Another Example for the Teaching / TA / Tutor category:
  1. Tutor for University (Free)
  2. Private Tutor (Paid)
  3. TA (Biology)
  4. TA (Psychology)

This isn't "wrong" or "against the rules" I don't think. Otherwise, if I could only have 1 experience per experience slot, I would need like 40 Experience Slots on AMCAS.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think that was against the rules. You can have four occurrences for each experience.

For example one of my experiences is for the category non-clinical volunteering (children/youth-based):
  1. Youth Tutoring In Schools
  2. Kids Church Volunteer
  3. Mentor Program (Like Big-Little Sister)
  4. Boys and Girls Club Volunteer

Another Example for the Teaching / TA / Tutor category:
  1. Tutor for University (Free)
  2. Private Tutor (Paid)
  3. TA (Biology)
  4. TA (Psychology)

This isn't "wrong" or "against the rules" I don't think. Otherwise, if I could only have 1 experience per experience slot, I would need like 40 Experience Slots on AMCAS.
I didn't say anything about rules, it's not like that. And I wasn't being snarky, that was a real suggestion. I see what you're going for, but that's not how is intended to be used. You should make those all separate experiences. Unless you have more than 15 or two really should go together (like tutoring two different subjects but at the same university, maybe) Part of the reason is you want to be able to describe each one so that the app reader knows what you did. If you put 4 into one entry, you just can't do that.

I didn't say anything about rules, it's not like that. And I wasn't being snarky, that was a real suggestion. I see what you're going for, but that's not how is intended to be used. You should make those all separate experiences. Unless you have more than 15 or two really should go together (like tutoring two different subjects but at the same university, maybe) Part of the reason is you want to be able to describe each one so that the app reader knows what you did. If you put 4 into one entry, you just can't do that.
Oh okay! I see where you are coming from now, sorry for misinterpreting your comment. I see where putting only 1, maybe 2 would be beneficial in order to describe them best, but unfortunately, I have like 40 different experiences, so....

Oh okay! I see where you are coming from now, sorry for misinterpreting your comment. I see where putting only 1, maybe 2 would be beneficial in order to describe them best, but unfortunately, I have like 40 different experiences, so....
You should probably narrow it down to the ones that are best for your app. I get the temptation to want to include everything, but it's just too much. You won't be able to describe what you did. And regarding the above, descriptions before stories. Gotta make sure it's clear before you say what you learned