How to focus???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find that I max out studying around 4.5-5 hours a day, and that's on a good day. My exam is not until April, so it's a while away, but I need to do well on the test. I'm graduated from college recently and am not working, and am only studying for the MCAT and volunteering, but it's just so hard to focus for me. It seems like I can't study for longer than 1 hour increments, and I only have 4 or 5 (at most) a day. How do you keep yourself motivated, and how do you focus for longer periods of time? Share your tips!

Members don't see this ad.

I find that I max out studying around 4.5-5 hours a day, and that's on a good day. My exam is not until April, so it's a while away, but I need to do well on the test. I'm graduated from college recently and am not working, and am only studying for the MCAT and volunteering, but it's just so hard to focus for me. It seems like I can't study for longer than 1 hour increments, and I only have 4 or 5 (at most) a day. How do you keep yourself motivated, and how do you focus for longer periods of time? Share your tips!

Give someone $3000 dollars.

For every hour you study, you get $3 back.

If you don't study 1000 hours, you don't get your money back. Make a contract and sign that.

If you don't study 1000 hours, you don't get your money back. Make a contract and sign that.

Not a bad idea actually.

Just study for 1 hour each day and try to increase the length by 10 mins every 3-4 days

Members don't see this ad :)
The thought of retaking the MCAT should make you work hard enough the first time. Trust me, you don't want to take the MCAT twice or thrice.

The thought of retaking the MCAT should make you work hard enough the first time. Trust me, you don't want to take the MCAT twice or thrice.

I pushed it back 3 times for this reason. It was like studying for the MCAT 3 times.

Money contract is a better idea. If you don't follow through, you'll go broke and you'd be an idiot for not studying. :smuggrin:

I put banner on my phone and comp that said. I Want to be a Doctor. so everytime i went on there i woudl see it and it would get my mind back on studying. Try to get some activity in before you study. that alwasy helped me. Got rid of being restless

I put a banner on my phone saying i want to be a doctor. and one above my comp. that way i always had reminders of why i was studying!

:thumbup: first I laughed a lot but now, yes, really, why not :p

Also all of the horrible feelings motivate a lot.. imagine that the test is over, you got in the website to learn your MCAT score annnnnd you see that awful reality on the screen: you got a low score! Omgomgomgomgomgomg... :eek::confused::scared::(:scared::confused::eek:

studystudystudystudy.. all of a sudden you feel very much motivated :laugh:

OP is not working, therefore....3000 are either a lot to come up with or 3000 is like pocket change. If the latter is true then the idea might not work..

Study in an environment where you will ONLY study in, like a library. Don't bring your laptop (and if you need to, disable internet). Have coffee.

5 hours/day should be enough.

To those who are saying that 4-5 hours a day is enough/a lot, how much material do you guys go through in that amount of time? I find that to read through a Berkeley Review chapter from chem/physics/orgo (haven't done the bio yet) and do a few passages takes about 9 hours, so I take about 2 days at 4.5 hours each day to go through a chapter and do/correct 4 passages. Does this mean I'm slow, or does it sound about right?

To those who are saying that 4-5 hours a day is enough/a lot, how much material do you guys go through in that amount of time? I find that to read through a Berkeley Review chapter from chem/physics/orgo (haven't done the bio yet) and do a few passages takes about 9 hours, so I take about 2 days at 4.5 hours each day to go through a chapter and do/correct 4 passages. Does this mean I'm slow, or does it sound about right?

you aren't using your time wisely. I use EK and it takes me no more than 3 hours to read a chapter (this doesn't including taking notes which probably adds an hour) ~30 minutes to do 3 passages and another 30-1 hr reviewing.

if you're studying 4-5 hours a day, and you plan to take the test in April, then you should be in good shape. I started in September, and took the test in April. I'm working full time, so I only could study about 2 hours a night, and on weekends. It had been a long time since I was in college, so I had to remember all the topics. if you're a recent grad, then everything should be fresh for you. After you finish most of your topics review, take timed full-length tests to gauge your progress. and then do a lot of practice questions. make sure to always go back and review your wrong answers so you can eliminate your weaknesses.

taking mental breaks after each hour of study is ok. just keep it short, and don't get sidetracked into other things like email, SDN, games, phone call, etc. go out for a quick brisk walk, do some jumping jacks, eat some fruit... a brain on MCAT needs extra oxygen.