How to formulate a school list without an MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul202

Reaction score
First off, I apologize if I missed a whole thread on this - I have checked old posts as well as the wiki + SDN and I haven't found much info. I am applying to med school this cycle, however COVID meant I couldn't take the MCAT until last week. I won't be receiving my score until July 14th, and I would like to have my school list formulated by then, so I can apply 1-2 days after receiving my score. I am also going to start working on my secondaries so I can submit them in a timely manner.

The "problem" I have run into while looking at schools is that my cum GPA is a 4.0, meaning that I can't exactly filter by GPA. I was hoping for a 520+ MCAT (FL4 I got a 524), but honestly I don't feel that good about the test so I don't know. So far I have went through and took off every school that is not OOS friendly, however that still leaves me with 60+ schools (I am a Michigan resident.)

Does anyone have any advice/links to advice they can send my way? Due to my high GPA I can't filter out schools based on GPA, and frankly I have no clue how to start narrowing them down. I was thinking once I get to around 30 schools I can start researching each one individually (their mission, etc), however I don't have time to do that for 80 schools. Also this isn't a humblebrag hoping that you guys will gas me up on my chances to get into a good school, I'm genuinely lost and hope you guys can provide some guidance. I have my stats typed out already, let me know if it would be pertinent to include.

I want to reiterate that I know it is hard to come up with an exact list without an actual score. I am just hoping that I will be able to come up with a general direction, and when I get my score I will be able to send all the apps out 1/2 days after. I'm not posting this in a WAMC thread since I don't even have a list of schools to start off with, I'm so lost and getting overwhelmed :/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to one school (Central Michigan) so your application can be verified. Post your MCAT score here when available and we can suggest appropriate schools.

Like above, we would need the actual score but we also have essentially no metrics with which to provide a school list at this time even with a hypothetical score of 520 as you've provided no information

I assure you that it is rare for any applicant to bat 1.000 on invites. It's more random than you think in some parts of the process. Kinda like the Bachelor/bachelorette. Mind that you can't give roses to everyone.