How to gain exposure to PM&R specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devilwearsprada

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate with no exposure to PM&R. I applied for preliminary yr and primary care residency positions for 2008 residency match, but ended up interviewing at places that don't have PM&R residencies.

I have a few months that I can use to strengthen my credentials to apply for PM&R residency next year. Since I am already a graduate(and also an FMG) I am unable to find any rotation/externships. My interests are in musculoskeletal injuries, stroke rehab ( although I have minimal experience in this, as I mentioned. I am undergoing a career transition).
Can any PM&R resident or Attending tell me, what would be the most valuable experience to go for at this time: research projects, EMG certification, any scholarly activity, etc??
I am trying hard to find any resources online or in person but its hard to find.
Please suggest some good resources on this. Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call RIC, Mayo, Kessler, and other programs and ask if you can "shadow" some docs. Also, find out if they'll let you participate in any research so hopefully you can either get a publication or at least have experience with PMR research. Both show a "go-getter" attitude and a true interest in PMR. Then, throughout your intern year, frequent SDN and check for opening for PGY2 spots the next year.
Where are you an FMG from?

Practically speaking, I think your geographical location for your internship (and any flexibility to travel for "shadowing" [as per dc2md]) between now and the start of your internship will influence your options.

If your internship is in a location where you can find a physiatrist on staff, or in the community, they might be able to help by allowing you to shadow them during those brief moments of relative tranquility in your internship year. IF there is a physiatrist on staff, they might not have a formal rotation, but your internship coordinator/program director may permit creating one with the staff physiatrist. (Admittedly, a long shot, but I have heard of this working, because I have done it myself for students at our medical school). Research certainly may help, but clinical exposure under a physiatrist's supervision will generally work better.

PS: (Who knows, if you are really lucky [this is a longshot too-as in the lottery perhaps], the community/staff physiatrist may also be a clinical investigator, so you can get the rotation/shadowing AND a research publication out of your PGY-1 year.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. So it looks like the best thing to do right now is get involved in some research activity with an MD who is also a clinical investigator.
Rotations are mpossible to get at this stage for me due to malpractice and other reasons. I searched everyehere but there is no official system where I can apply for this. Hopefully 'shadowing' will count for something.

Practically speaking, I think your geographical location for your internship (and any flexibility to travel for "shadowing" [as per dc2md]) between now and the start of your internship will influence your options.

If your internship is in a location where you can find a physiatrist on staff, or in the community, they might be able to help by allowing you to shadow them during those brief moments of relative tranquility in your internship year. IF there is a physiatrist on staff, they might not have a formal rotation, but your internship coordinator/program director may permit creating one with the staff physiatrist. (Admittedly, a long shot, but I have heard of this working, because I have done it myself for students at our medical school). Research certainly may help, but clinical exposure under a physiatrist's supervision will generally work better.

PS: (Who knows, if you are really lucky [this is a longshot too-as in the lottery perhaps], the community/staff physiatrist may also be a clinical investigator, so you can get the rotation/shadowing AND a research publication out of your PGY-1 year.)

Thanks so much for your input. Can I PM you to ask a few more Qs?

I'd call RIC, Mayo, Kessler, and other programs and ask if you can "shadow" some docs. Also, find out if they'll let you participate in any research so hopefully you can either get a publication or at least have experience with PMR research. Both show a "go-getter" attitude and a true interest in PMR. Then, throughout your intern year, frequent SDN and check for opening for PGY2 spots the next year.
Where are you an FMG from?

I am unsure if I communicated clearly. The "best thing" depends upon what is available. Physiatrists are found in most communities; find someone to shadow. My comments regarding a clinician/investigator only apply if your internship has such a person on staff. Given a choice of clinician shadow vs. investigator, chose the clinician. Research is nice, but an abstract on your CV will only take you so far. Find someone willing to let you shadow, preferably someone with ties to a good residency program. This way you can get a better sense of what a physiatrist does, and whether it suits you. If you still are interested in the field after your shadowing experience, hopefully the attending can help you get your foot in the door someplace and get an interview.