How To Get 100% On Every Holepunch Section Of Pat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maregbe1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of threads on people having trouble with hole punching and recieving a lot of emails on how to make hole punching easy on the Crack DAT PAT and real DAT, where one can get a 100% on this section all the time. On the real DAT i got a 20 on PAT (was a little disappointed because I was scoring 21 and above on most of my PAT test: topscore, kaplan, crack pat). Today I even decided to take test 10 of my crack pat test because I promised myself I would and got a 22 (97.1%). I am not saying this to brag, but I am saying this to reassure you that I can help you all with sections on the PAT and help raise your scores. Today this thread is about hole punching because of the many emails that I had recieved asking for help so here:

For hole punching what I do is draw a tic tac toe grid on a sheet of paper ( 3 three lines parrallel horizonatally and 3 lines parrellel vertically but perpendicular to the horizontal lines). After drawing these I look at the problem and plug in X's in the tic tac toe grid where the wholes are to be. After this I go to the box before it and understand how the folding occurs and plug in more X's where the holes appear to be and erase some where holes do not occur and then go to the box before this and do the same thing. After I am done I compare my tic tac toe grid with X's representing where holes occur to the answer choices and see which one matches exactly. Look for the link I have attached to this, it explains it further. Now for questions one might ask:

Q)It seems like it takes a lot more time for one to do it this way, is it true?

A- No it does not, every crack pat test I have taking using this method I have completed this section in 5- 9 mins and got all of them right. Yes at first it will take time because one is just learning how to use the trick but with time and practice this section will become as easy as it has for me for you.

Q)I want to know if this method is better/worse than just looking and memorizing where the holes are?

A- I honestly believe that looking at it and trying to memorize where all the holes is actually more time consuming and stressful for one. Using this trick allows you to remember where all the holes appear without having to memorize.

Q) Is this the best method?

A- Honestly I do not know, all I know that it worked for me and helped me get the score I wanted in this section. There could be better methods which is less time consuming then this, but all I know is that this method helped gaurantee me a 100% in this section within a time limit that I was happy with.

Overall I wish you all the best of luck with your dat test, and I hope this thread was some help to those who have been struggling with the hole punching.:)

P.S. -- Please feel free to ask questions for more understanding

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• dat.doc
    109.5 KB · Views: 970
I do the same thing instead I use circles

Lol I received tons of PMs as well about this :laugh: Good thing you started this thread....

im sorry but the doc file that you uploaded confused the hell out of me can you explain what is happening. im really bad at this.

But,don't forget that real test is nothing like CDP as far as punching.It is way easier,you can pretty much get all of them right with out doing all that.The only parts that are harder are TFE and foldings,these are harder than CDP.

Members don't see this ad :)
DDSguyLA I will help you tommorrow, but yea I felt that TFE is the same as crack pat and topscore but folding was harder because it was different from the ones you get from crack pat and topscore in that they focus more on folding than intricate patterns.

The way I do hole punching is that I will actually do the hole punching. That is I tear up enough squares of paper and punch in the hole with my pen. You can master this to where it only takes you 10 seconds/question. Is anyone using this strategy?

That is good for practice and helping you visualize where holes go as you unfold. However, on the real exam you will be given laminated paper that cannot be folded.

That is good for practice and helping you visualize where holes go as you unfold. However, on the real exam you will be given laminated paper that cannot be folded.

Lol Owned.

(The tearing of the paper and punching the holes sounds like something a girl would do.)

Hey thanks for the tip.
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of threads on people having trouble with hole punching and recieving a lot of emails on how to make hole punching easy on the Crack DAT PAT and real DAT, where one can get a 100% on this section all the time. On the real DAT i got a 20 on PAT (was a little disappointed because I was scoring 21 and above on most of my PAT test: topscore, kaplan, crack pat). Today I even decided to take test 10 of my crack pat test because I promised myself I would and got a 22 (97.1%). I am not saying this to brag, but I am saying this to reassure you that I can help you all with sections on the PAT and help raise your scores. Today this thread is about hole punching because of the many emails that I had recieved asking for help so here:

For hole punching what I do is draw a tic tac toe grid on a sheet of paper ( 3 three lines parrallel horizonatally and 3 lines parrellel vertically but perpendicular to the horizontal lines). After drawing these I look at the problem and plug in X's in the tic tac toe grid where the wholes are to be. After this I go to the box before it and understand how the folding occurs and plug in more X's where the holes appear to be and erase some where holes do not occur and then go to the box before this and do the same thing. After I am done I compare my tic tac toe grid with X's representing where holes occur to the answer choices and see which one matches exactly. Look for the link I have attached to this, it explains it further. Now for questions one might ask:

Q)It seems like it takes a lot more time for one to do it this way, is it true?

A- No it does not, every crack pat test I have taking using this method I have completed this section in 5- 9 mins and got all of them right. Yes at first it will take time because one is just learning how to use the trick but with time and practice this section will become as easy as it has for me for you.

Q)I want to know if this method is better/worse than just looking and memorizing where the holes are?

A- I honestly believe that looking at it and trying to memorize where all the holes is actually more time consuming and stressful for one. Using this trick allows you to remember where all the holes appear without having to memorize.

Q) Is this the best method?

A- Honestly I do not know, all I know that it worked for me and helped me get the score I wanted in this section. There could be better methods which is less time consuming then this, but all I know is that this method helped gaurantee me a 100% in this section within a time limit that I was happy with.

Overall I wish you all the best of luck with your dat test, and I hope this thread was some help to those who have been struggling with the hole punching.:)

P.S. -- Please feel free to ask questions for more understanding

All these ideas are great but use the one that works easiest for you. Also keep in mind that there are limited ways that the paper can and will be folded. Doing enough practice questions will make you cognizant of all the tricky folds and hole punches, and you'll be ready for it.

I found the TFE and the pattern development to be on par with the real DAT. I didnt find ether one to be signifigantly more diffcult than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who've taken the DAT that did this. In the center they took the test they were given yellow PAPER sheets.

I'll be that girl that gets a perfect 100% score on that section!

Do what you like!

To fold and tear all the papers,(15 in total) will require valuable time. It will consume at least 5 mins of your precious time. Not Worth it since you can get 15/15 without doing this.

I'm still srtuggling at this. What I'm having the most trouble with is understanding how they got from the first fold to the second fold.

I know people who've taken the DAT that did this. In the center they took the test they were given yellow PAPER sheets.

I'll be that girl that gets a perfect 100% score on that section!

Do what you like!

Is this allowed?? I thought you can't manipulate any of the pieces of paper or erasable boards. Did anyone on the real DAT use this method...?

I'm still srtuggling at this. What I'm having the most trouble with is understanding how they got from the first fold to the second fold.

I'm struggling with that too! My guess is that the lower left corner is dragged up to the upper right corner to make the second fold.

Please excuse my somewhat uninformed/dumb question - I very recently decided to apply to dental schools...

In a Crack DAT PAT practice test I took, appx. 50% of the problems had multiple holes punched into the paper... but I havent yet seen that on a Kaplan practice test (only one at a time). Does the real DAT have multiple holes? If so, does anyone know if they are there in that large a number?

Thanks!!

The real DAT pattern folding is quite a bit easier, but keep in mind that you may see folds on there that you didn't see on CDP. These folds that weren't in CDP were not hard though. So, the best thing to do is understand reflection of folds over a 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 axis etcetera. There are no half-folds on the real thing. If you're doing well on CDP folding 13/15+ then you are ready for this section. Other sections that are easier than CDP include cube counting, and angle ranking. Keyholes are a bit harder, as with TFE, and some pattern folding is really hard (e.g. lots of different possible orientations when you're trying to organize the structure mentally, which consumes a lot of time). Some pattern folding is like CDP, although about 1/2-3/4 of it is harder. Keep that in mind when you focus on specific PAT sections. Dwelling too much on hole punching too much may not be worth it, as it is one of the easier PAT sections.

can u explain this a lil bit more? im still kinda confused from the picture shown in the doc

Hey guys, I tutor students in the hole punching section of the PAT in the DAT. I guarantee a much better score in the hole punching section in just two sessions. If one can get a nearly perfect score in the hole punching section (which is something I can offer) his/her PAT score can increase tremendously. If you guys are interested you can reach me at (1516) 967-2124

-Make the investment in your future

I had trouble until I found the "line of symmetry" post. Maybe someone dug it up already amongst the rash of recent hole punch cries for help?
Seriously, find that video and just practice. I went from being dumbfounded to nearly an expert at hole punch after that video.