How to get 3 refer letters and become a volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limzhu

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends:

I am computer science student, now I want to apply Dentistrybut I do not know How to get 3 refer letters and become a volunteer? I think I do not familiar to my Prof., why they will write refer for me? How can I get volunteer in dentistry since I do not know any BIO. , CHEM?

HLEP me please :(

liming

Members don't see this ad.

Limzhu,

I think it depends on when you are planning to apply. If you are applying for next year (class of 2008), then i would go to professors that you did well in their classes and talk to them about your interest. From experience, most professors don't mind writting letters, but the more you get to know them, the better. Another thing you could do would be to take a resume with you and have them just highlight your achievements. If you are going to apply later, GET TO KNOW YOUR PROFS (go to office hours, ask questions, etc...) I'm guessing that you probably will not apply until later as you haven't taken bio/chem classes yet.

As far as gaining dental experience, you could cold-call a dentist or two and see if they would let you shadow/volunteer. Take it from there.. also check your school's career center and ask if they have any services that would help find someone. The dentist will not mind that you aren't very fluent in bio/chem yet, but i can assure you they will be impressed with computer science!

Best of luck,
Z5

Thank you gor your idea, it is perferct. :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

You can try to volunteer in a dental office, but most dentists either don't need any volunteers, or just don't want any (from personal experience). Now, in my opinion, the best way to gain experience is to volunteer at your local hospital. You can request to be in their dental clinic if they have one, or you can volunteer in any department. In the end, it doesn't matter if you actually worked in a dental office or not...all they want is for you to have exposure to health care and if you know how to deal with people.

Plus, I definitely suggest going to your own dentist and asking them questions. Get to know them, and make sure that they know your interests. All dental schools love letters of reference from a dentist.

I hope this helps...good luck! :)

Hot-n-Aml

Nice to read your help , I am western too, which school are you studying right now? Could you give me some infomations ? I am a 3rd year CS student , and in summer I will take Bio023 ,from sep.2003 I will take Bio280a and Chem213a/b and Phys020, in the next year I will take DAT at Feb., is it good plan? could you tell me your reference Prof.? How to prepare DAT? My english is not good ? Do I have chance to enter ?

Hi Limzhu,

I am at Western right now finishing my fourth year. If you want, we can meet on campus somewhere and discuss your situation, since it may be much easier than over the computer.

Let me know what you think, and e-mail me at [email protected]

talk to you soon,

Hot-n-Aml

Hey limzhu + hot-n-aml,

I'm at Western right now as well and will be going to tufts next year.....just wanted to say hi.

Did you guys apply to Western's Dental program?

Hi DMX9911,

That is so cool that we all go to the same university...we should maybe all get together to give our friend Limzhu some advice on getting in. :)

My seat at UPitt is waiting for me, but I have received an interview at Western this year. I'm going to give it my best shot, but their acceptance letters go out in July, and my first orientation/apartment shopping for Pitt is in June! So I don't really know how that is going to work out.

Plus I pretty much know my status when it comes to Western, since I was waitlisted last year. So have you applied to Western?
Which faculty/program are you in? I'm in Honors Bio this year. As well, do you intend on coming back to Canada? My goal is to return after dental school, since all my family/friends are here.

Anyway, hope to hear from you soon
Hot-n-Aml.

Hey Hot-n-aml,

I actually graduated last year with my honors in zoology and am doing my fifth year right now. This was my only option after being waitlisted at Western last year and rejected after my interview at UofT.
I have my Western interview coming up as well on April 27th, maybe i'll see you there.
As for coming back to Canada, I'm not too sure. Apparently, you can't open up a business unless you become a citizen, and i dont know how easy or hard this is. I believe there are more opportunities in the states (ie. not as saturated as Toronto) and more money to be earned...but i guess ill learn more next year.

Not knowing how things will work out must be confusing for you... I really don't understand why western waits so long before interviewing and releasing thier decisions....but then again they can do whatever they want cuz there's only 50 spots.

Well if you decide to meet with limzhu, i'll drop in and give my two cents.

Later

Hi DMX9911,

I'm meeting Limzhu at 10am on Monday in the Grad Club. Come an join us if you like.

cheers,

Hot-n-Aml