How to get a pharm tech job in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicepharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I realllly want to work as a retail pharm tech but its the middle of the summer and it seems like nothing is open anymore! :( I really want the experience and also to try out whether I like retail pharmacy before I start pharm school in the fall! How did you guys go about looking for a pharm tech position? Does anyone know of anyone hiring in the Chicagoland area? If so...please help and lend me some advice!! thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Nicepharm said:
Hi guys,

I realllly want to work as a retail pharm tech but its the middle of the summer and it seems like nothing is open anymore! :( I really want the experience and also to try out whether I like retail pharmacy before I start pharm school in the fall! How did you guys go about looking for a pharm tech position? Does anyone know of anyone hiring in the Chicagoland area? If so...please help and lend me some advice!! thank you!

walgreens, they're everywhere! :eek:

if you have pharmacy expirience they might let you become a floater tech. a lot of people are taking days off in the summer and they need people to float around and fill those positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
What area do you live in? Hospitals are always working for PRN help, this can often times transform into a part-time position.

walgreen's is always looking, I got my tech job last summer around this time

ButlerPharm.D. said:
What area do you live in? Hospitals are always working for PRN help, this can often times transform into a part-time position.

I live around the downtown Chicago area and it's like a prime location where all the pharm students get jobs so it's been hard looking for openings.

Bump.

I was about to create the same thread.

Anyone have more recent knowledge on this?

It's extremely disheartening to see the last post by the thread creator.

I'm thinking I could live somewhat out of the downtown area, as long as I can get access to the El. I'll be having my B.S. Neuroscience soon, and I'm considering working for a while. I'm not interested in bogus grunt work like third-shift in retail or supply or stuff like that. I've done it, and I don't want that. Also, the pay is often not enough (I consider myself too educated to be paid low and physically worked that hard): Graduate school would be easier.

I'm attempting to stay in Chicago, because I would like to try for medical school (and I need to do volunteer work/shadowing still). I'm considering doing CNA volunteer and some kind of doctor shadowing.