Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How to get a Pharmacy Clerk/Assistant job?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Jinita, May 8, 2008.

1. Jinita

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi all,

I have been looking online for pharmacy clerk openings and have no luck. Do you guys have suggestion or experience as to how to get a pharmacy clerk or assistant job? I would really like to gain experience working in a pharmacy. Thank you!:)

2. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    go to the stores and ask for applications and/or to talk to the pharmacy managers..those online applications are too impersonal. also mention that you are pre-pharm and you want experience so they don't think you're just some random person that only needs the job for an income

also...if all else fails, ask if you could volunteer for a couple of hours a week (chances are chain pharmacies won't allow it but independent pharmacies might)

3. chinkster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Try craigslist!

4. Drug Doc

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    offer to be a volunteer, then chances are you could get hired eventually as long as you do a good job (more likely to happen at privately owned versus chain pharmacies). of course, if you find any job postings for a pharmacy clerk apply to those first.

5. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    fastest way to get any pharmacy job is to show your face, or know someone who works in the pharmacy.

6. inquirer89

5+ Year Member

Like what the above posters said, try to be as proactive as you can. But good luck trying to find a position right before summer...I contacted and spoke to 7 pharmacies and they all said that they were already filled with pharmacy students:(

I will be continuing to volunteer at my hospital pharmacy. It's easier to find a volunteer opportunity because they would appreciate the help.

7. PharmDY

PharmDY Reach for the Stars
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It's too much work to visit every pharmacy you can think of or pharmacy locations that you're willing to work at. Last year, I just called up all the local retail pharmacies and pharmacies i have a way of getting there by public transportation, then visited the pharmacies that actually say they're hiring and would like to see me/interview with me in person. It took about a month before I was officially hired.

Also, I agree with earlier posts--online apps take too long and are very ineffective (don't know why they even exist!), and definitely say you're pre-pharm because it shows dedication (or future dedication). And I suggest (if you're a student) to organize your class schedule such that they occupy a bulk of either morning or afternoon or evening hours, because it'll allow the manager flexibility to work you into their schedule/pharmacy timeable.

Best of luck!

8. lessotto

lessotto Battling senioritis 24/7
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I agree with PharmDY, CALL.

I went on yahoo LOCAL search, put in my zip code, and called every pharmacy within 10 miles. I found my first pharmacy job that way. It took me 30 minutes.

Try big chain stores (with dive thru!!!) - these always need people!

Good luck!

9. laimyours

laimyours like my hat?
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I have some conflicting advice but, I think it's good advice.
    Sometimes when you tell them you want pharmacy experience, or that you are a pre-pharm student they immediately don't want to hire you. They know you are temporary and your schedule might be hard to work with. Pharmacies try to accommodate their full time employees, and make them happy. Maybe avoiding the words "experience" and "pre-pharmacy" might help you get a job. Instead you might want to say you're a student in need of a part time job. Add in that you are willing to work weekends, evening and holidays. That will make the full time techs happy. :love: If they ask specifically, go ahead and tell them your plans. I'm not making this up, I'm speaking from personal experience. I've been working in pharmacy for 6.5 years now and i started when I was 16 (a pharmacy was oddly enough the only place that would hire me, they could tell i was desperate to work). We avoid pre pharm students at all costs! We know they are temporary and school is their priority and will get in the way when we schedule. We much prefer regular hard working people that need a job.

10. RdRaider

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Yup, mentioning that little bit screwed me over twice yesterday. The local CVS said I could still come by tomorrow and talk to the head Pharmacist but they were only looking for full time techs. :mad:

@Lessotto: What all did you really say on the phone?

11. PharmDY

PharmDY Reach for the Stars
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    interesting input. I never thought about it that way, and apparently your pharmacy acts on its basis of employment!

so i guess the OP should tell the pharmacist/manager their honest answer to the question: why should we hire u? i think honest answers can often be the best answers. just be yourself and answer by thoughts that reflect your character (if you're a bad liar, they can most likely sense it and hire someone else who doesnt look like they're lying). plus, we dont want to have you posting a nasty reply in a few days saying you took one of our ideas and now your pharmacist doesn't call you back ;)

To RdRaider: it sounded like you're blaming yourself for getting blown off because you told CVS that you're a prepharm/wants experience? i think when CVS tells you they are only hiring full time only, they mean just that: they're hiring full time only! i mean, if you think telling them you are prepharm cost you the job, i think you should think again. are you able to work full time? did CVS sound less interested in your job application only after you said you can work full time AND a prepharm? i think you just haven't found a store who's in desperate need of a person who can work evenings only or a few hours everyday in the afternoon. (edited later: hmm after rereading my post it sounded like i was attacking you :laugh: which is not my intention at all--the last sentence is what you should take to your heart, not the "you should think again" stuff).

when I called the pharmacies last year, I said exactly or something close to "Hi pharmacy manager, Do you have an opening position for pharmacy clerk/cashier? I'm a prepharmacy student, I just graduated and didnt get accepted into pharmacy school so I have from now (Aug) until next year Sept to work (that's if I get accepted next year, if I don't then I'll be free until I get into a school). I want to work at the pharmacy to familiarize myself with medications, learn about retail pharmacy, work closely with pharmacists and patients. do you have time to set up an appointment to see me or talk with me about possible clerk/cashier position?" it look less than 20 mins to find a pharmacy interested, but about 1 month to secure the job because I had to choose from several job offers at different chains, and of course there's background checks, urine samples, and all that other good stuff. (edited later: I know you didnt direct your question to me but i thought i'd also write down what i said in my phone calls)

12. lessotto

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    They: Blah BLah phrmacy...
    :): Good morning / afternoon / evening! How are you?

:): Is there a way I can speak to pharmacy manager right now?
    They: Sure!
    :): Oh, hi, I was wondering if you are hiring any pharmacy clerks now?
    Manager: We do. When can you work?
    :): I have Tue/Thu nights and weekends available.
    No? Does not work for you? Ok! Thank you! Have a great day/night!

NEXT!

- Ask for pharmacy manager
    - Do not get discouraged
    - Have your available hours in front of you!
    - What state are you in? My pharmacy is hiring!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

13. Jinita

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am in Southern California...Is your pharmacy hiring? Where are u located?

14. SexyPlexi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Network! Think of anyone you know that worked or works in a pharmacy and make calls/email.

15. laimyours

laimyours like my hat?
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm speaking from working at 3 different companies. Two different retail chains and an independant. So this is a trend i've noticed. I've found that most pharmacy managers, although i'm sure they want to, don't hire the pre-pharm students that come in. And it's just simply because, most retail pharmacies have limited hours, are short staffed and really can't spare the hours to have a part time student that needs experience. Sadly, it's because of the turn over. Investing time training only to have that employee leave you in a few months. I've heard managers say "I was going to hire them until I found out they just wanted experience..." and even "they shouldn't have told me they were only going to work here 6 months, I would have hired them". I didn't say to lie, I said to tell them if they asked. In some areas the jobs may be plentiful and it's fine, but some maybe not. If your having trouble finding a position it's worth a shot. I was just trying to help, I'm trying to jeopardize your chances of getting a job. I've helped other pre pharm students from school get jobs in pharmacies so, I felt like my advice is valid.

16. lessotto

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I work in San Fernando Valley. PM me if you are there.

Hope you find job soon!!! :luck:

17. Jinita

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you...Too bad I don't live in San Fernando Valley :( I am in Encinitas. I will keep looking for job..hope i will find one soon :eek: .Thank u guys for all the good advices :)

18. monsterbrain

monsterbrain Drinking for sanity.
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    OP: Come to St. Louis and you can have my job. I hate WAGS! :(

19. islandboy401

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    what if you say something like "i am a college student who needs money for tuition AND I am also trying to get experience"....

That way, they would believe that you won't quit (because you need money) and that you will also be committed (because you want pharmacy experience)