How to get a publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestKelvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder how do some of you guys get a publication done, did your professor gave you a project or you just do your own research and published it. Also, where did you guys publish your papers?

Members don't see this ad.

Kelvin - this is the "what are my chances" forum; your question prob isnt appropriate here

But anyways, you work with a PI for the most part and your work goes from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I wonder how do some of you guys get a publication done, did your professor gave you a project or you just do your own research and published it. Also, where did you guys publish your papers?

A lot of it is heavily dependent on luck and your PI's policy toward giving undergrads credit on paper. I think that if you go into research with the goal of publishing (at least as an undergrad), you sort of miss out on the bigger picture. Adcoms like to see that you did research and while publications are nice, being able to intelligently discuss what you did is often nearly as good.

Get lots of money and go to a building with lots of labs and offer some money to the person who would write your name down in a paper.

Speaking of which, I have a friend who is published but did not do anything. Not a big author or anything but publication is publication.

Just become good friends with people who are about to publish ;)