How to get a white coat really clean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braxtonhicks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year and have exactly 5 weeks left on the wards. Unfortunately, my two white coats are dingy and have pen stains. I really don't want to buy a new coat. Plus, I still have to take Step 2 CS and need a clean coat for that.

Any advice for how to get them really bright and clean? Have you found anything that works will for pen stains?

I have them soaking in oxyclean and hot water right now ... but I would really appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Washing it 2-3 times in bleach always does the trick for me.

One of my friends swears by borax. I use one of the Chlorox bleach pens myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I fill my sink up with warm water, put a crap load of oxy clean with a little bit of clorox bleach in it and let the coats soak for like two hours. Then just throw them in the washer with my regular white loads (obviously don't put them in with colors) and use the regular cycle. Works great every time ;)

Try dabbing rubbing alcohol on the pen stains. Always worked for me!

Spray hairspray on the ink stain, let it dry, and wash.

stop wearing it. ;)

I put peroxide on the pen/blood/whatever else stains, which took them right out, then washed in in the washer...comes out looking white!

FutureDocDO said:
Spray hairspray on the ink stain, let it dry, and wash.

Couldn't agree more. With ballpoint pens, the hair spray gets it out. As for gel pens.... use a bleach on them, let it sit and soak, then eventually wash. When you soak it, make sure the water is the hottest possible.

braxtonhicks said:
I am a 4th year and have exactly 5 weeks left on the wards. Unfortunately, my two white coats are dingy and have pen stains. I really don't want to buy a new coat. Plus, I still have to take Step 2 CS and need a clean coat for that.

Any advice for how to get them really bright and clean? Have you found anything that works will for pen stains?

I have them soaking in oxyclean and hot water right now ... but I would really appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Hi there,
Take you coats to a professional cleaner and have them washed. Be sure to point out your ink stains. A professional can take care of these the things far better than you can.
njbmd :)

After drying the coat, iron it, hang it and spray on starch to keep the lines crisp.

Can we start for a fund for this guy? Everyone donate a quarter and let's get him a new coat! :rolleyes:

CLOROX BLEACH PEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Put the pen over the stain, and let it sit for a few hours and then wash it. This has gotten blood stains and betadine stains out of my coat. Hands down the best tool to get stains out of your white coat. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I had to find something because our school only gives us one white coat!

This thread reminds me of the simpsons episode entitled "22 short films about springfield."

"If I remember my Iloease, it's mayonaise that gets gum out." - Marge

"When I get bubble gum in the old pushbroom-diddlyum, I freeze it, then smash it with a hammer." - Ned.

"Arrr, get a giant squid to suck it out." - Sailor guy.

"Chewing gum's got to be chewed out!" - Willy.

"Here's a tip. Don't try to pick it out with a bone." - Sideshow Mel.

braxtonhicks said:

Okay, I'm at at-home mom and the following works on even messy kids clothes. I guarantee you cannot be messier than my 3 y/o son. (That is, unless you also enjoy playing in the mud while wrestling with the dog and attempting to keep your dripping popsicle away from said dog.)

First, pretreat ink areas with either rubbing alcohol or REALLY cheap hairspray if you don't have any rubbing alcohol. (For this, the cheaper the better. Cheaper brands of hairspray have a HUGE amount of alcohol.) The alcohol works as a solvent and breaks down the binders in the ink. (Sorry, I was a coatings consultant before becoming an at-home mom.) Scrub slightly. You can just use your fingernail if you don't have anything else. The ink should already be lightening up considerably.

Next, take BIZ laundry powder and make a paste of it with VERY hot water. (As hot as you can stand.) Cover stained area with the paste and sit outside. This works best on sunny days, but it's worked for me in overcast days, too.

That evening, launder in hot water with bleach and a scoop of BIZ powdered detergent. I've had this process take out really nasty stains that I thought were set for life. (Like baby formula burp-up. The iron in most formulas causes those nasty yellow stains and is a pain to get out. This process worked on even that grossness.)

Also, my husband is NOTORIOUS for getting stuff all over his white jackets. One time, it was car grease. No problem, though. I came right out with the BIZ.

Here's a link where you can get a free sample: http://freebies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.bizisbetter.com/

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user