How to get acceptance deposit back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm wondering how to go about getting my deposit for a school back after I told them to hold my spot. Do I just call them up and simply say nicely that I'd rather go someplace else?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the point of a deposit is to ensure your attendance at that particular school. It's basically to hold your spot, so that they will not give your spot away to someone else who may be interested. Therefore, I believe you lost your money.

yellowpersuazio said:
I believe the point of a deposit is to ensure your attendance at that particular school. It's basically to hold your spot, so that they will not give your spot away to someone else who may be interested. Therefore, I believe you lost your money.

I thought that most deposits were refundable up until May 15th-- if you withdraw after that day from a school, you can say goodbye to your money.

I don't know how to withdraw a deposit; call up the school and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of schools will refund the deposit...check their website. Usually you also have to give them something in writing to decline your spot.

My bad...I really don't know, I haven't been so lucky. haha

The better question is how to get your money back from secondary applications when the school has not verified that your application is complete. I'm waiting on about 4 to 5 schools and have not heard that my application is complete.

Now I don't want these schools to keep my money. I want it back. Has anyone ever gotten their money back for a secondary application?

thegenius said:
The better question is how to get your money back from secondary applications when the school has not verified that your application is complete. I'm waiting on about 4 to 5 schools and have not heard that my application is complete.

Now I don't want these schools to keep my money. I want it back. Has anyone ever gotten their money back for a secondary application?

hahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Very good one!

p.s. let me know if that works. I have about $400 out there that I would like back!

Ashanti

silas2642 said:
I thought that most deposits were refundable up until May 15th-- if you withdraw after that day from a school, you can say goodbye to your money.

I don't know how to withdraw a deposit; call up the school and ask.

A little different question. I thought you can hold only one acceptance on or after May 15th. If I accept an offer from an out of state school and later say in July or so I get in from an waiting list at another school. What happens then? Can one decline the first acceptance eventhough that is after May 15th?

Thanks,
S.

shahab said:
A little different question. I thought you can hold only one acceptance on or after May 15th. If I accept an offer from an out of state school and later say in July or so I get in from an waiting list at another school. What happens then? Can one decline the first acceptance eventhough that is after May 15th?

Thanks,
S.
Yep, but you won't get your deposit money back.

MrBurns10 said:
Yep, but you won't get your deposit money back.

Technically, you are able to withdraw your acceptance at a school up until you have matriculated at that school, which is usually the day that orientation starts. for some schools, this is june. for others, it's not until september. you're usually given about a week after you've been offered an acceptance in the summer to either decline their offer or to accept their offer and withdraw from the school where you currently hold an acceptance. and yes, you will most likely lose your deposit. deposits are usually refundable up until may 15

shahab said:

Thanks,
S.

Yup. What the other posters have said. The key phrase here is that after May 15th you can only hold one ACCEPTANCE. You can hold as many waitlists as you want, and if you get off the waitlist, then you just drop your acceptance and cry about the $100 bucks or so that you've lost.

silas2642 said:
Yup. What the other posters have said. The key phrase here is that after May 15th you can only hold one ACCEPTANCE. You can hold as many waitlists as you want, and if you get off the waitlist, then you just drop your acceptance and cry about the $100 bucks or so that you've lost.

Cool..thanks. I figured my deposit would be gone and I am really not worried about that. I have spent much more than that on some secondary fees that I would not even go to interviews even if I were offered - not because I am arrogant..but because I know financially I won't be able to manage if I were to get into those schools.

I only have a waitlist offer now. Thanks again for clarification.