Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How to get acceptance deposit back?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by zurned, Dec 19, 2005.

1. zurned

zurned Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, I'm wondering how to go about getting my deposit for a school back after I told them to hold my spot. Do I just call them up and simply say nicely that I'd rather go someplace else?

2. yellowpersuazio

yellowpersuazio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I believe the point of a deposit is to ensure your attendance at that particular school. It's basically to hold your spot, so that they will not give your spot away to someone else who may be interested. Therefore, I believe you lost your money.

3. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought that most deposits were refundable up until May 15th-- if you withdraw after that day from a school, you can say goodbye to your money.

I don't know how to withdraw a deposit; call up the school and ask.

4. preetster

preetster resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A lot of schools will refund the deposit...check their website. Usually you also have to give them something in writing to decline your spot.

5. yellowpersuazio

yellowpersuazio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My bad...I really don't know, I haven't been so lucky. haha

6. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    MD school deposits are usually refundable; DO school deposits are not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. thegenius

thegenius Senior Wharf Rat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The better question is how to get your money back from secondary applications when the school has not verified that your application is complete. I'm waiting on about 4 to 5 schools and have not heard that my application is complete.

Now I don't want these schools to keep my money. I want it back. Has anyone ever gotten their money back for a secondary application?

8. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

hahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Very good one!

p.s. let me know if that works. I have about $400 out there that I would like back!

Ashanti

9. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A little different question. I thought you can hold only one acceptance on or after May 15th. If I accept an offer from an out of state school and later say in July or so I get in from an waiting list at another school. What happens then? Can one decline the first acceptance eventhough that is after May 15th?

Thanks,
    S.

10. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep, but you won't get your deposit money back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Syranope2

Syranope2 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Technically, you are able to withdraw your acceptance at a school up until you have matriculated at that school, which is usually the day that orientation starts. for some schools, this is june. for others, it's not until september. you're usually given about a week after you've been offered an acceptance in the summer to either decline their offer or to accept their offer and withdraw from the school where you currently hold an acceptance. and yes, you will most likely lose your deposit. deposits are usually refundable up until may 15

12. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yup. What the other posters have said. The key phrase here is that after May 15th you can only hold one ACCEPTANCE. You can hold as many waitlists as you want, and if you get off the waitlist, then you just drop your acceptance and cry about the $100 bucks or so that you've lost.

13. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cool..thanks. I figured my deposit would be gone and I am really not worried about that. I have spent much more than that on some secondary fees that I would not even go to interviews even if I were offered - not because I am arrogant..but because I know financially I won't be able to manage if I were to get into those schools.

I only have a waitlist offer now. Thanks again for clarification.