How to get an apartment with NO INCOME!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EReze

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMG!!! Can anyone tell me how to get a nice apartment as a medical student? I am getting ready for my rotations and I want to move a little early so it won't interfere with my boards studying. The prolem is every nice place requires INCOME and good credit. I have decent credit but its not perfect because I have to take out 50K a year for school loans. And as students, we have NO INCOME until residency. Is there any way to fill out an application without seeming like a loser? I have no family to sign for me and this situation is stressing me out. Even the apartments for rent in private homes have income requirements. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

OMG!!! Can anyone tell me how to get a nice apartment as a medical student? I am getting ready for my rotations and I want to move a little early so it won't interfere with my boards studying. The prolem is every nice place requires INCOME and good credit. I have decent credit but its not perfect because I have to take out 50K a year for school loans. And as students, we have NO INCOME until residency. Is there any way to fill out an application without seeming like a loser? I have no family to sign for me and this situation is stressing me out. Even the apartments for rent in private homes have income requirements. :eek:
They don't count your loans for living expenses as income?

Have you considered buying a house with an interest only loan?

Rent an apartment in a private house. None of the places I looked into ever asked to run a credit check on me. You must be looking at apartment buildings/complexes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, easiest way to do prove that you have an income is to get a letter from your financial aid office showing your total student budget. The office should also include dates and "activity" as a student. Don't let them give you a letter with just your living expenses budget, you will need the tuition included as well.

For me, this year it was near 55K. This method has worked for several of my classmates and myself to rent nicer apartments (and such) that have a minimum yearly income. It worked well. My cohort also received a discount (no deposit, free fitness center, no app fee) because our apartment complex was a preferred whatever for our third year base hospital.

Okay, easiest way to do prove that you have an income is to get a letter from your financial aid office showing your total student budget. The office should also include dates and "activity" as a student.

Exactly. I did this with no problems.