Quantcast

How to get an undergraduate research publication/recognition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitch8017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been doing some research and I really wanna try and get something published, present at a conference, or something that I can have to show for my work. My question is how other undergrads do it? I have heard of undergraduate journals and wonder if there is any level of skepticism? Are second or third rate journals to be avoided at all costs? And if a paper was to be accepted and published after my applications were submitted, how would I go about informing the schools I applied to of my publicati0n/conference/whatever?

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you conducting research under a PI, or just by yourself? If you could give a brief description of what you're doing it would be helpful.

mitch8017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you conducting research under a PI, or just by yourself? If you could give a brief description of what you're doing it would be helpful.
Under a PI. I work in a USDA lab and during my time when I don't have duties I need to fulfill for my PI I research different things and try and find out what I can study myself within the framework of our current experiments and available samples. I have gotten a few orders for reagents and such approved and I have studied a hormone within our mice that are fed different diets and/or have a knockout. I believe I have significant enough data to support my original hypothesis and between my findings and literature review I hope to try and put something together.

mitch8017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Under a PI. I work in a USDA lab and during my time when I don't have duties I need to fulfill for my PI I research different things and try and find out what I can study myself within the framework of our current experiments and available samples. I have gotten a few orders for reagents and such approved and I have studied a hormone within our mice that are fed different diets and/or have a knockout. I believe I have significant enough data to support my original hypothesis and between my findings and literature review I hope to try and put something together.
Also, my school offers directed studies/research courses that are kinda arbitrary in title but can get you set up with a professor at the school. However, the catch with this is I would have to do something within the framework of their research, and considering I have already got data and what not as well as a facility and all necessary equipment for conducting my research already (paid as well) I would like to avoid this "course" option that I'd have to throw tuition dollars at and stick with my current postion.

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Talk to your PI, explain in greater detail what you have and what you want to do. Depending on what you have s/he will be able to guide you.

Reactions: 1 users

CyrilFiggis

EM resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you in lab meetings? Do you contribute to the research anymore than just processing labs?

mitch8017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you in lab meetings? Do you contribute to the research anymore than just processing labs?
Me and the other student in lab are tasked with compiling and presenting lab results (putting them into graphs and what not) and often bringing these types of things to meetings on top of performing the actual experiments. Often times we are also asked by our PI to research certain things on our computers (eg relation between the protein we are studying and IGF, all background info on a certain protein, research all genes analyzed on a heat map, etc).

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been doing some research and I really wanna try and get something published, present at a conference, or something that I can have to show for my work. My question is how other undergrads do it? I have heard of undergraduate journals and wonder if there is any level of skepticism? Are second or third rate journals to be avoided at all costs? And if a paper was to be accepted and published after my applications were submitted, how would I go about informing the schools I applied to of my publicati0n/conference/whatever?

Peer-reviewed and PubMed indexed are the minimum for a meaningful publication. If you REALLY want to get nitty-gritty about research, then think about impact factor. As such, undergraduate journals are not worth your time. Once your data is published somewhere (i.e. undergrad journal), it cannot be published in another paper/journal. If your paper is accepted after you submit your primary, then mention your publication in your secondaries. Or if it's after your secondaries, send an update letter. Send updates only if you have an accepted manuscript or abstract/poster/presentation at a reputable conference (i.e. not an undergraduate research symposium).

Me and the other student in lab are tasked with compiling and presenting lab results (putting them into graphs and what not) and often bringing these types of things to meetings on top of performing the actual experiments. Often times we are also asked by our PI to research certain things on our computers (eg relation between the protein we are studying and IGF, all background info on a certain protein, research all genes analyzed on a heat map, etc).

Talk to your PI, explain in greater detail what you have and what you want to do. Depending on what you have s/he will be able to guide you.

As JustAPhd suggested, just talk to your PI. You need to be explicit, but realistic about your goals. It sounds like you're involved enough to warrant authorship though.

markovchn123

Reaction score
It takes a bit of luck and skill. Some PIs are more willing than others to let their undergrads write papers or coauthor. If you feel like you have enough data then I would write up a little mini report and show your PI. Also don't try to get published in an undergrad journal go for a real journal.