How to get back into PGY1 after resignation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krushed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have joined residency in 2007. Due to unexpected pregnancy I wasn't able to concentrate much on work. As a consequence my program director asked me to resign before he could terminate me from the program. I had no choice but to hand out my resignation in 2008. I got credit only for 9 rotations of the 12 in PGY1.
Now I wish to get back into residency. As I have already used the GME funds for the internship year, will I able to start from PGY1 again. What are my chances?
If anyone has similar experience please share. I feel so miserable, especially after passing all 3 steps with good scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the field, you may find a program willing to give you advanced standing. However you may have to accept repeating your internship. If you stay in the same field, you will be a year short of full CMS funding; however, if you are a good enough candidate, that may not be reason for a program not to offer you a position.

No one can tell you what your chances are (even if you had given us even a smidgen of info about you). If you are otherwise a good candidate, with a good LOR from your former PD, and are willing to apply broadly, you stand as good a chance as anyone else. You would be well advised to contact your former PD and see if they would consider you for a position starting in 2011 (if you left on good terms).

I have joined residency in 2007. Due to unexpected pregnancy I wasn't able to concentrate much on work. As a consequence my program director asked me to resign before he could terminate me from the program. I had no choice but to hand out my resignation in 2008. I got credit only for 9 rotations of the 12 in PGY1.
Now I wish to get back into residency. As I have already used the GME funds for the internship year, will I able to start from PGY1 again. What are my chances?
If anyone has similar experience please share. I feel so miserable, especially after passing all 3 steps with good scores.

i am in your situation where i resigned from a categorical position, but it was voluntary, but they did have threats so i thought that was the best thing to do. it is hard to find a position afterwards, but it is possible. I did get into a prelim year, so now im out again. i was accepted into nuclear medicine last year, but got sick and someone took my spot, so there is some hope. You just have to keep applying and see what happens. I have heard of some getting into a different specialty. i think it mostly depends on good scores and AMG status and sometimes it helps to have been in good standing at your previous program with a decent LOR. Step 3 will help you out a lot im sure. You probably can get something through the match, which provides the greatest chances of any other way. scrambling is tougher than the match as there are thousands of more candidates than positions. the match cares more about scores so thats why i never match, but scrambles don't so i usually get stuff via scrambling outside the match. my scores weren't so great and im an IMG, so i probably will have a much tougher time finding anything.

Last edited:
Yup, depends on the PD. 9 out of 12 rotations - you could obtain credit for the year in another program, OR they may ask you to start again. Also agree with turq's comments. It all just depends on luck....
But I would advise you to try all 3 options - match, scramble, and also register on residentswap and findaresident.com websites and apply to random openings...

IMG/FMG? What field? What problems did your pregnancy cause (coming to work late, clinical judgment errors, not answering your pager)?