How to get back to Canada: Canadian IMG doing US residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivapuff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am a Canadian citizen, studying medicine abroad. I plan on doing my residency next year in Family Med in the U.S., and I am wondering if there is anyone who has gone through this same process (Canadian IMG > US residency > Canada for work) and is now working in Canada. How did you do it? Which exams did you need to take (and which are you exempt from)? Any advice before I start my U.S. residency?

Merci!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friends,

I am a Canadian citizen, studying medicine abroad. I plan on doing my residency next year in Family Med in the U.S., and I am wondering if there is anyone who has gone through this same process (Canadian IMG > US residency > Canada for work) and is now working in Canada. How did you do it? Which exams did you need to take (and which are you exempt from)? Any advice before I start my U.S. residency?

Merci!

If you look around on the Canada page, you'll see that this question has been answered in detail a few times. Have a look first, g'luck.

My only advice would be to pass the MCCQE 1 and 2 while in residency. That way you avoid getting a restricted license in some provinces.
As for the family medicine boards, The ABFM has a reprocity agreement with Canada. You will not need to pass the Canadian family medicine board exam if you are US board certified.

I have 2 friends that returned to Canada after residency, both in Ontario. One did her LMCC had ample choices of job opportunities, and got her unrestricted license.
The other one refused to do his LMCC, and could only apply to jobs where an attending was willing to "supervise" him while under a restricted license (typically 12-18 months at least).

Can Canadian citizens that are US qualified internist/hospitalist come back to Canada and practice without having to do residency again?