Medical How to get better LORs after graduation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody.
I believe one of the things that has held my application back this cycle may possibly be that my 2 science letters are 1 liners and impersonal.
Any ideas on how to get better letters (ie going to comm college as nondegree-seeking and taking higher level science classes for the LOR)?
For reference I graduated this May as a Finance major and my smallest science class was 300 students. Not a lot of opportunity to fraternize with the profs in this environment lol.
I think with better letters I will have a real shot of getting into an MD or DO school. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Take some college classes and get to know the profs really well.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be trying to take two upper level biomedical classes come spring semester at a local community college if they will allow me to take them as a non-degree seeking student. if this is not possible i really have no idea what i should do.

1) which upper-level biomedical science classes?
2) I am a bit wary about seeing applicants with upper-level science classes at CC's because among most faculty there still exist a negative bias. You need to be sure that the courses would be comparable to those taken at a tough 4-year university and would be credited in any transfer application to a 4-year university. (You don't have to do the transfer yourself, but there needs to be that standard of rigor applied).

If you aren't sure, you're going to have to take those upper-level biomedical science classes at a 4-year institution. No other way around that. I think the lack of such upper-level biomedical science classes as graded coursework is what is not allowing you to stay on par with most other applicants who (for the most part) have those grades in their courses in-hand with their application. When I review applications, so many more applicants have biochem, microbio, physiology, etc., that those who don't will get left behind and rejected.

I really appreciate the feedback. I am contacting all the universities in my state to see what I can do. The CC that I have already contacted would be credited no problem I believe, however I will certainly do my best to take these classes at a 4 year university if possible. And in regards to your first question, I am not entirely sure. If you have any suggestions on what classes would look the best on my application and the minimum you would suggest me taking, please let me know.
- I am going to be taking at least two. Do you think it necessary to take more than this?

I think I gave some suggestions in my previous response. I don't know what other classes are being offered at the university you could be taking coursework at, but any of them which build on biochem, micro, physiology, genetics, and so on as noted by the prehealth advising team at that school could help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.