How to get credit on a med school app for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2oo5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I know this is a really dumb question, but I was wondering what you guys, who have already applied to med schools, did to get credit for clinical experience via shadowing. I know where I volunteer that they keep a good record of hours, so I would have easy proof of how many hours I have volunteered as an undergrad. However, how do you log hours of doctors you have shadowed? Im going into my sophomore year of undergrad, and I have shadowed two docs already (family members). Before I shadow more, I just want to be sure I am not making a mistake by not having them fill out a form, or something of the sorts that would be credible proof of hours. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

t2oo5 said:
Hey,
I know this is a really dumb question, but I was wondering what you guys, who have already applied to med schools, did to get credit for clinical experience via shadowing. I know where I volunteer that they keep a good record of hours, so I would have easy proof of how many hours I have volunteered as an undergrad. However, how do you log hours of doctors you have shadowed? Im going into my sophomore year of undergrad, and I have shadowed two docs already (family members). Before I shadow more, I just want to be sure I am not making a mistake by not having them fill out a form, or something of the sorts that would be credible proof of hours. Thanks!

To my knowledge, you don't need any sort of documentation regarding clinical experience. AMCAS only asks for a contact person (i.e. the doc you shadowed). Presumably, if there was any question about the number of hours you did, they would contact that person. AMCAS does ask you for the number of hours per week, but I'm sure they understand that for a shadowing experience it would be difficult to translate it as such. It's not required field, anyway.