How to get faster at Keyholes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkhan27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really freaking out right now because I run out of time on PAT every time :bang:. I need some advice on how to get better at Keyholes. I seem to spend too much time looking at the nitty-gritty details (proportion, shape, etc). I have watched YouTube videos, practiced many times, and have tried different strategies. I spend ~20+ minutes doing keyholes and always run out of time at the end for pattern folding having to guess on the last 10-12 questions. Its awful. Can someone provide some input. I am averaging 17-19 on Bootcamp PAT tests. Please help, PLEASE!!!!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I averaged about 19-20 so take my score as you will, the keyholes on Bootcamp have harder answers but easier shapes. The actual one I had had these weird shapes but the answers were more obvious. Honestly, I recommend practicing the exams again in like two weeks.

Keyholes was one of the difficult sections on the PAT for me. It takes a long time and its often difficult to choose between the answers. My strategy was to quickly visualize the object and go straight to the answers. Most of the answers are easy to eliminate. If you are stuck between answers, guess and move on.

My advice is to practice practice practice. I was discouraged by angle ranking and keyholes on my first few practice exams, but I studied why I got answers wrong and made adjustments. After more practice, you will find yourself paying more attention to details and getting faster. Just work at it and you will get there. I was averaging 20-21 on BC tests and got a 25 on the real thing.

I averaged about 19-20 so take my score as you will, the keyholes on Bootcamp have harder answers but easier shapes. The actual one I had had these weird shapes but the answers were more obvious. Honestly, I recommend practicing the exams again in like two weeks.

Keyholes was one of the difficult sections on the PAT for me. It takes a long time and its often difficult to choose between the answers. My strategy was to quickly visualize the object and go straight to the answers. Most of the answers are easy to eliminate. If you are stuck between answers, guess and move on.

My advice is to practice practice practice. I was discouraged by angle ranking and keyholes on my first few practice exams, but I studied why I got answers wrong and made adjustments. After more practice, you will find yourself paying more attention to details and getting faster. Just work at it and you will get there. I was averaging 20-21 on BC tests and got a 25 on the real thing.

Thanks guys I'll keep trying. I am averaging 19 now, but I always seem to run out of time at the end with 7-8 minutes left for pattern folding. Its an absolute pain in the neck, but I'll keep at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys I'll keep trying. I am averaging 19 now, but I always seem to run out of time at the end with 7-8 minutes left for pattern folding. Its an absolute pain in the neck, but I'll keep at it.

Hello,

I am currently studying for the dat now, I will be taking it in August, I am getting 17s-19s but running out of time to finish it, did you have the same difficulty? And how did you end up doing on the DAT if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you so much and any information would be incredibly appreciated!

I find that process of elimination works very well with the PAT section. Additionally, I would recommend making a time table and timing yourself as you practice. If you practice with time, you'll be forced to think faster and make educated guesses rather than being hung up on questions (after all, one question is still just one question no matter how long you take).

I've posted the table i used for PAT before... but here it is again:

15 keyhole 60s each
---45 min left
15 tfe 30s each
---38 min left
15 angle 30s each
---31 min left
15 holepunch 30s each
--- 24 min left
15 cube 30s each
---12 min left
15 folding 60s each
-- 2 min left (to review)

if you stick to this table, you'll always finish with at minimum 2 minutes left. Over time you'll not only get faster and more accurate, but get waayy better at PoE and guessing.

I find that process of elimination works very well with the PAT section. Additionally, I would recommend making a time table and timing yourself as you practice. If you practice with time, you'll be forced to think faster and make educated guesses rather than being hung up on questions (after all, one question is still just one question no matter how long you take).

I've posted the table i used for PAT before... but here it is again:

15 keyhole 60s each
---45 min left
15 tfe 30s each
---38 min left
15 angle 30s each
---31 min left
15 holepunch 30s each
--- 24 min left
15 cube 30s each
---12 min left
15 folding 60s each
-- 2 min left (to review)

if you stick to this table, you'll always finish with at minimum 2 minutes left. Over time you'll not only get faster and more accurate, but get waayy better at PoE and guessing.

Great thank you so much !