How to get from Dulles to Charlottesville?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience getting from Dulles airport in d.c. to UVA med? I'm coming from out west and I have no idea how i'm gonna get from the airport (where it cost like 200 less to fly into) to uva.... any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

They have flights from Dulles to Charlottesville. Its at least a 2 hour drive (about 100 miles) from Dulles to the town. There must be some flights into Charlottesville as Virginia is a very large state. You can rent a car and drive it if you want, and I would recommend doing it.

Does anyone have any experience getting from Dulles airport in d.c. to UVA med? I'm coming from out west and I have no idea how i'm gonna get from the airport (where it cost like 200 less to fly into) to uva.... any suggestions?

The drive is relatively easy. From Dulles, you go to 66W. Then you get on I-29 South and you stay on 29S for like 80 or so miles. 29S feeds right into UVa. It's basically idiot-proof.

Do you have access to a car whilst in Dulles? Maybe taking a plane would be easier. Like another poster wrote, driving there will be about 2.5 hours or so. Just keep in mind that cville's airport is off some road (earlysville?) and you'll be looking at a taxi cab ride that will take a solid 20 minutes or so before you hit the campus...

Its a pretty long boring rolling hills sorta of drive. But if renting is cheaper than another flight, go for it. Like the guy above said, it isss an idiot proof drive (even I made it).