how to get from ohare to northwestern for 2nd look weekend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...just wondering if anyone could tell me how to get from Ohare to northwestern's school of medicine via the el.

I know i need to take the blue line from ohare, but where do i transfer? last time, i came from midway, and i got on the red line to the chicago stop, and i walked about 10 mins to the hospital. that was easy. id rather not take the bus, if i can just transfer to the red line and do the same thing. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

This is what my host told me: You can take the blue line from o'hare into downtown and then switch to the red line at (i think) the washington stop, then walk over to campus down chicago ave (not too far).

Anyone else getting in around 3:30PM on Thurs? Maybe we can take the el in together! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an early flight into O'Hare? I'll be getting there at 9:30 AM-ish, and have to hustle to Chicago ASAP to meet a few apartment representatives. If anyone wants to brave the L with me, let me know!

Optimist said:
You can switch from blue to red at the Washington stop. You have to walk through a tunnel connecting the two, then get on a northbound train (to Howard) and get off at Chicago.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html

The trains don't always say "North" so you want to take the red line to Howard. (Howard is north.)

if you can organize flight times you might go ahead and get a shuttle but if you havent been to chicago id recommend taking the el so you can get a feel of it. get on the blue line to forest park (it should be the only one) and transfer at washington to the red line that says Howard. Get off at Chicago stop and just start walking towards the lake.

I'm from Chicago, so I have to ask: Which campus are you talking about?

Northwestern has a hospital downtown (off the Red Line Chicago stop), but if you want to go to the campus in Evanston, have to take the same Red Line all the way up to Howard and then switch to the Evanston Purple line.
Here's a link for you.

http://www.northwestern.edu/campus/directions/

You probably mean the Chicago location, but I thought I'd add this for good measure...

04DukeBio said:
If anyone wants to brave the L with me, let me know!

dude..."brave the L?" relex..its not THAT bad....i mean, its just a train. if you guys are serious about livin in Chicago, youd better be ready for a seriously urban lifestyle. buses and trains are the norm....

the l is really convenient and its good to see the "real" people of chicago.

joker said:
dude..."brave the L?" relex..its not THAT bad....i mean, its just a train. if you guys are serious about livin in Chicago, youd better be ready for a seriously urban lifestyle. buses and trains are the norm....

the l is really convenient and its good to see the "real" people of chicago.

I'd take subway/train commuting anyday over dealing with rush hour. It's part of the culture guys and there really isn't anything to worry about.

Apologies if I came off as a bit paranoid. I've been living in suburbia and semirural suburbia for most my life, so my first exposure to major city life and public transportation was during my interview spree - and even then, NU was the only school in a major urban center. I tried to take the L during my interview stay, and got sorta overwhelmed by the whole rush of things.

I'm sure once I settle into Chicago and get used to it, it'll be no problem. It'll just take some time, and, like joker said, thinking about it less stressfully.

:p

I apologize for derailing this thread, but my email has been screwy so I haven't gotten all the Second Look info that I think I should have, so I was hoping someone could fill me in on the weekends timetable? If not the whole weekend, can someone tell me when we are supposed to arrive on the 15th? Thanks!

Auricae, the reception is at 850 N Lake Shore Center, 1st floor ballroom, starting at 6 pm.

A brief summary:

Thursday, Check-in at 6 pm, reception 6-8 pm. Free night.

Friday, events start at 8 AM (we should be getting folders at the reception with locations of these events). Breakfast, followed by an overview of Feinberg, then the selected event you e-mailed to Hallen. At 12-2, med student lunch. 2-3:30, 3rd year med student panel, followed by student clubs/activities fair to 4:30, then 6-8 = self-covered dinner with medical students.

Saturday, 10-12 is Brunch and 'Financing your Medical Education'

After that we're free!

Hope that helped.

Thanks! That helped a ton.

04DukeBio said:
Auricae, the reception is at 850 N Lake Shore Center, 1st floor ballroom, starting at 6 pm.

A brief summary:

Thursday, Check-in at 6 pm, reception 6-8 pm. Free night.

Friday, events start at 8 AM (we should be getting folders at the reception with locations of these events). Breakfast, followed by an overview of Feinberg, then the selected event you e-mailed to Hallen. At 12-2, med student lunch. 2-3:30, 3rd year med student panel, followed by student clubs/activities fair to 4:30, then 6-8 = self-covered dinner with medical students.

Saturday, 10-12 is Brunch and 'Financing your Medical Education'

After that we're free!

Hope that helped.

just to add...thurs night is timmy o'toole's, a bar commonly frequented by people in the area and friday night is a pretty nice tri-level club called vizion. so bring nice shoes and pants for fri as clubs here dont generally allow sneakers and jeans. drink specials for us both nights.