How to get into a desirable location for family med residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dabears405

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, current OMS1 here. I was wondering what it takes to get into a nice FM program in a desirable location in california i.e. OC area/LA/SF. What about the UC programs? Of course there isn't a formula to get into these programs, but I would like to know what it generally takes to get in. I'm assuming I have to take both the COMLEX/USMLE to be a competitive applicant? What about research and all of that jazz? I'm not a stellar student, been performing below average so far in school so itll be nice to know what I should be aiming for. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

That might be a tough question to answer. You are claiming to be a "below average" student, that alone might make it tougher to get the "desirable" local but then again that in and of itself is subjective. It is also still early so as long as you do well on the COMLEX/USMLE tests that will help. Be active in AAFP or at least try to be, if possible go to the conferences, find the people affiliated with the programs you like and talk to them. This is assuming that you can interact in a normal manner. Show interest in the programs you like and try to set up elective rotations there during your clinical years, particularly during 3rd year so that come interview time in early 4th year they know who you are. Work on building your CV through electives and extracurriculars to show that FM is what YOU want to do.

Side note...a desireable location during residency is not what you should be looking for. You should be looking for a place that will expose you to and prepare you for the desireable place where you want to spend a career AFTER residency. Example....I am currently in Houston. I can not begin to tell you how much I loath Houston, it's traffic, it's vastness, the never ending congestion and construction, etc. I put up with this madness because the Texas Medical Center is an amazing place to learn. I see the uber insured and I see the fresh off the boat immigrants with nothing. There is an unbelievable sports medicine program here and although I dislike my current local and am counting the days until I never have to lay my eyes on the Houston cityscape. I know that I can go back home and be able to treat and care for anything.

Reactions: 1 user
That might be a tough question to answer. You are claiming to be a "below average" student, that alone might make it tougher to get the "desirable" local but then again that in and of itself is subjective. It is also still early so as long as you do well on the COMLEX/USMLE tests that will help. Be active in AAFP or at least try to be, if possible go to the conferences, find the people affiliated with the programs you like and talk to them. This is assuming that you can interact in a normal manner. Show interest in the programs you like and try to set up elective rotations there during your clinical years, particularly during 3rd year so that come interview time in early 4th year they know who you are. Work on building your CV through electives and extracurriculars to show that FM is what YOU want to do.

Side note...a desireable location during residency is not what you should be looking for. You should be looking for a place that will expose you to and prepare you for the desireable place where you want to spend a career AFTER residency. Example....I am currently in Houston. I can not begin to tell you how much I loath Houston, it's traffic, it's vastness, the never ending congestion and construction, etc. I put up with this madness because the Texas Medical Center is an amazing place to learn. I see the uber insured and I see the fresh off the boat immigrants with nothing. There is an unbelievable sports medicine program here and although I dislike my current local and am counting the days until I never have to lay my eyes on the Houston cityscape. I know that I can go back home and be able to treat and care for anything.

Well, I disagree and if you look at the NRMP applicant survey, location is the most often cited factor when choosing a program to apply to. I applied to mostly the big cities with big name programs - Seattle, Portland, SF, etc - because I want to live there. Obviously, not all programs are created equal but there is a reason for accreditation and you'll get the training you need. It's just that some programs will just be better at some things than others but that's the fun in going on all these interviews to figure out that "fit." My point is that you shouldn't have to sacrifice a desirable location for excellent training but if you want to be miserable in a city when you leave work, go for it.

As for how you get there, your preclinical grades matter significantly less than your clinical scores. Seriously. As long as you pass your boards on your first attempt, you'll be okay. You might have to bulk up your volunteer work and ECs to compensate for a lower board score but a low board score won't shut you completely out like it would in a more competitive specialty, for example. Research isn't required but if it's a project you're passionate about, it can definitely help you stand out. You're right in that there is no magic formula and programs are getting more and more applications every year but I think the key is to demonstrate your commitment to FM. Away rotations are also not required but if there is a particular program you really want to go to, go for it. Treat it like a month long interview and show your commitment to FM. Hopefully some of that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I disagree and if you look at the NRMP applicant survey, location is the most often cited factor when choosing a program to apply to.

That is the beauty of opinions, we all have them and we all think that ours is correct. You misunderstood what I was getting at however. The education that you get through your residency training TO ME is more important than where it is. If you can find that great training in a great city good for you if not so be it. I happen to find an incredible learning environment in a city I dislike. I will have spent 4 years in a city that I dislike in order to be able to go back to a city that I love with the education and ability to do whatever I want. As someone that has gone through a residency match, several rank meetings for the classes that came after me and a fellowship match it does not always work out the YOU want it to.

You know what, nevermind.

Last edited:
Hey guys, current OMS1 here. I was wondering what it takes to get into a nice FM program in a desirable location in california i.e. OC area/LA/SF. What about the UC programs? Of course there isn't a formula to get into these programs, but I would like to know what it generally takes to get in. I'm assuming I have to take both the COMLEX/USMLE to be a competitive applicant? What about research and all of that jazz? I'm not a stellar student, been performing below average so far in school so itll be nice to know what I should be aiming for. Thanks in advance.

There's like 20-some programs in and around the LA area and many are DO friendly. I would take both the COMLEX and USMLE just for good measure, especially for some of the UC programs, provided you can do well on them. If you do average or above on the COMLEX/USMLE you'll get plenty of invites in LA if you apply broadly.

At this point you're still an MS1, and I'd focus on doing well in school and on Level/Step 1. As others have said, both boards and clinical grades are much more important than preclinicals, but you really need to be working hard on pre-clinicals so that you do well on boards.

If you want to do extracurriculars, look into community involvement/volunteering and involvement in your FM club/chapter at your school. Only do those things if you can afford to do them studying-wise and obviously if you like them.

As others have mentioned, aways are a good way to demonstrate interest and make a good impression at specific programs. Apply really early for them during 3rd year though, because CA programs get filled quick on VSAS.

I meant you no disrespect, simply giving you an alternative perspective from someone that has been through it. If your posts are any indication I would work on your ability to take constructive criticism because as you progress through medical school, residency, fellowship and into the mystical land of attending-hood you are going to be challenged on things you feel to be correct but might not be by others. If your inclination is to respond to people that don't see things the way you do with ...

... you are in for a long road. Good luck.

I meant you no disrespect, simply giving you an alternative perspective from someone that has been through it. If your posts are any indication I would work on your ability to take constructive criticism because as you progress through medical school, residency, fellowship and into the mystical land of attending-hood you are going to be challenged on things you feel to be correct but might not be by others. If your inclination is to respond to people that don't see things the way you do with ...

... you are in for a long road. Good luck.

The way you responded speaks louder to your character and your inability to appreciate an opinion other than yours. Mind you, I also backed up my "opinion" with data collected by the NRMP. Just because you went through it, does not mean your priorities are the same for every applicant so you should learn to accept that. If posting on anonymous online forums asserting how happy you are in a miserable location for the sake of this "amazing" education helps with that painfully obvious chip on your shoulder for not matching where you wanted to, go for it. But to tell people a desirable location is not what people should be looking for is inappropriate and poor advice, especially for someone who has apparently gone through the match twice.

Good luck to you too, buddy. You seem like a dream colleague.

Edit: Ah, suspicions confirmed - you're an IMG. OP, just something to think about.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Jon. I am in a rural place as well for residency/fellowship, where I likely won't live, and agree that the value of training is forever. You need to be taught how to be a professional doctor, vs student, vs shift worker, vs extender. This is a hard and scary burden and responsibility, but it is also a blessing and opportunity.

The meds/standard of care/procedures may change, but the example and process of a high level attending should last for your career.

You also need to function and make it through residency, which can be hard without a good support system (e.g. like family or a spouse who needs to find a job). I don't think people are choosing between an amazing residency in a crappy location and a horrible residency in a great location. Usually its more like a great residency in a bad location and a slightly worse but still very good residency in a good location.

In the end, there isn't one right answer. Its really up to you as an individual to prioritize what's most important to you at that point in your life. Location is a perfectly reasonable priority, and is one used most frequently by residency applicants. Quality of training is obviously also a reasonable priority.