How to Get Into Academic Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How? Is a Ph.D an absolute requirment? I would prefer to teach a pre-clinical course. I would highly prefer to teach than to spec. any info much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

paolorossifan said:
How? Is a Ph.D an absolute requirment? I would prefer to teach a pre-clinical course. I would highly prefer to teach than to spec. any info much appreciated.

Well, I don't think you'd have to be that special to teach a pre-clinical course. Certainly don't need a Ph.D. You'd have to be good at what you do though.

A PhD can't hurt you. I'm looking into it a) because I think I would enjoy it b) the possibility of stumbling onto something amazing and affecting the lives of millions, and c) a good springboard into academic side of dentistry. I'm not set on getting the PhD but it's something I'm seriously considering for those reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm headed toward that area and it takes about 7 years to complete a combined program but it's worth it because you are needed and the application pool is lower than just entering a DDS program and if you have research experience during undergrad you are definitely getting in :) I say try it you'll like it!!!!!!

aphistis said:
Based on my experience with certain faculty members, It evidently helps to be a substandard dentist who can't relate to patients or peers.

Dang, I feel like my ability to relate with patients/peers/students is one of my biggest strengths and part of the reason I would enjoy teaching. Do you have any professors that are just plain cool and teach because they like teaching?