How to get into GT English and Social Studies in 9th grade

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my brother is in 8th grade right now and he is in on-grade level english and social studies. My parents and I really want to try to get him into GT English and Social Studies or at least Honors English and Social Studies next year when he enters high school because he could get a leg up on the weighted GPA. I was wondering if it is possible to advance 2 grade levels above (regular -> GT)? Would the teacher be strongly opposed to this and is it even possible to advance into GT from regular even if we continue to be persistent in our request?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

In general if you want to take more advanced courses, I would recommend AP courses in high school rather than honors. Your brother is in 8th grade, there is no real reason to worry/push him further at this point. Colleges and medical schools (if he want's to be a doctor), won't care about 8th grade coursework, or honor's English in 9th grade. Colleges will however, look and evaluate AP courses/grades, so if you want him to do more advanced placement, just focus on doing well in 9th grade, then take the AP English, World History, Science courses in later high school years.

Furthermore, I'm not sure what GT English is, but if you want Advanced Placement credit for college while in high school, the courses you need to take are AP or IB if you're international.

Hey guys, my brother is in 8th grade right now and he is in on-grade level english and social studies. My parents and I really want to try to get him into GT English and Social Studies or at least Honors English and Social Studies next year when he enters high school because he could get a leg up on the weighted GPA. I was wondering if it is possible to advance 2 grade levels above (regular -> GT)? Would the teacher be strongly opposed to this and is it even possible to advance into GT from regular even if we continue to be persistent in our request?

Thank you.