How to get into med in AUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nima123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please describe the application process for a Canadian citizen with a BSc. It seems people have to take the GAMSAT. Would MCAT be good enough, or is GAMSAT a must?

Also, how long is the medical program? Can internationals practice in Australia? How about doing residency in the US/Canada, is that straightforward?

Also, for the Canadians who might be reading this, how does Sydney/Melbourne compare to Toronto/Montreal?

Thanks a lot.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone please describe the application process for a Canadian citizen with a BSc. It seems people have to take the GAMSAT. Would MCAT be good enough, or is GAMSAT a must?

Also, how long is the medical program? Can internationals practice in Australia? How about doing residency in the US/Canada, is that straightforward?

Also, for the Canadians who might be reading this, how does Sydney/Melbourne compare to Toronto/Montreal?

Thanks a lot.:)

MCAT is acceptable. The graduate entry programs are generally 4 years in length. The rules for International students vary - I would be very wary of going to Australia at the moment. They've increased the amount of medical schools here and there may not be any spots for International students as an intern by the time one graduates in or after 2010/2011 (looks weird looking at that number eh?).

At the moment, you can get a visa to work a year as an intern - no guarantees for a spot to work though.

The lesson is that you can't plan that far ahead - a lot changes in 4 years. That includes yourself as a person as well - your goals will change.

You can't really compare Sydney with Toronto and Montreal. They're all different cities. As someone from Vancouver, I personally like Sydney more than Toronto but the people from Toronto think Toronto is better than Sydney and Vancouver and the rest of Canada for that matter.

Australia in general has a heavier British influence than Canada - Canada has more influence from US culture whether you canucks like to admit it or not.

It is not straightforward to finish in Australia and then go do a residency in Canada or the US. It takes a lot of self-discipline on your part to fulfill all the requirements to go back to North America. You will not get that much support in Australia to do so. Search the forum for more information.

I think it's in your best interests at the moment to try at least 3 times in Canada before going overseas. I'm going to school with some amazing people who would all have matched into Canada had they tried a few more times. I think a lot of us bailed too early as we were itching to get started with our education.

If you think your application is too weak to ever be considered in Canada, (i.e. cannot even get an interview) and medicine is your passion, then fly over.

One caveat though - if you were a weak student before, do not expect that going to Australia will be a shortcut to a med degree. There have always been a few questionable admissions (local and internationals) and although they will graduate (yes, it is hard to flunk out of medschool - in most countries), the lack of scholastic ability will catch up with you. Then again, who am I to judge?

Australia in general has a heavier British influence than Canada

That's intersting, driedcaribou, could I get you elaborate on that a little please? Like do you mean Austraila is more like the UK in how they run their medical schools/educational system, and maybe even medical field in general? Or do you mean Australia is like the UK in pretty much everything, like culture, habits, etc.? (I'm a Yank and interested by what you mean. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
More deference to the Queen (despite all the Aussies talk about independence when the vote came up, it sided with staying a colony)

More British tv shows

More British inspired food

More people with ties to the "mother land"

MCAT is acceptable. The graduate entry programs are generally 4 years in length. The rules for International students vary - I would be very wary of going to Australia at the moment. They've increased the amount of medical schools here and there may not be any spots for International students as an intern by the time one graduates in or after 2010/2011 (looks weird looking at that number eh?).

At the moment, you can get a visa to work a year as an intern - no guarantees for a spot to work though.

The lesson is that you can't plan that far ahead - a lot changes in 4 years. That includes yourself as a person as well - your goals will change.

You can't really compare Sydney with Toronto and Montreal. They're all different cities. As someone from Vancouver, I personally like Sydney more than Toronto but the people from Toronto think Toronto is better than Sydney and Vancouver and the rest of Canada for that matter.

Australia in general has a heavier British influence than Canada - Canada has more influence from US culture whether you canucks like to admit it or not.

It is not straightforward to finish in Australia and then go do a residency in Canada or the US. It takes a lot of self-discipline on your part to fulfill all the requirements to go back to North America. You will not get that much support in Australia to do so. Search the forum for more information.

I think it's in your best interests at the moment to try at least 3 times in Canada before going overseas. I'm going to school with some amazing people who would all have matched into Canada had they tried a few more times. I think a lot of us bailed too early as we were itching to get started with our education.

If you think your application is too weak to ever be considered in Canada, (i.e. cannot even get an interview) and medicine is your passion, then fly over.

One caveat though - if you were a weak student before, do not expect that going to Australia will be a shortcut to a med degree. There have always been a few questionable admissions (local and internationals) and although they will graduate (yes, it is hard to flunk out of medschool - in most countries), the lack of scholastic ability will catch up with you. Then again, who am I to judge?

+1 for this.

However I'd like to add (as a person applying for internship this year) we got a presentation by AMSA and all the other organisations in relation to internship matching. Basically the gov't will be increasing the number of internship positions over the next few years inline with the increase number of schools. For the first time last year, international students got first round offers in Big hospitals in Queensland (Royal Brisbane and GC) as well as WA and SA. SA already increased their spots this year.

Also NSW just allowed you to apply to some of the base hospitals directly. I basically have an interview this week for a spot that I applied to before the closing date (ie they seem pretty desperate).

Some internationals at my school even got first round offers, even though technically that's not supposed to happen...so hopefully things will stay this way for a while, but again no guarantees.